Reprising the Fun Build for mendel

It is really cool the way all the luthiers are excited about one anothers work. In most fields people would be competitive, but you all thrive on one anothers successes. Once again, the Uke community makes me smile! Brad- this looks beautiful. It looks like a truly happy instrument!!!

Last edited:
Tomorrow I string it up.

Brad

Attachments

• rm5 006.jpg
    rm5 006.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 128
  • rm5 005.jpg
    rm5 005.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 121
  • rm5 002.jpg
    rm5 002.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 120
  • rm5 004.jpg
    rm5 004.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 112
  • rm5 003.jpg
    rm5 003.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 126
Bravo! I absolutely love the Xs and Os.

Last edited:
I cant wait to hear a sound sample!!! are you going to put your signature "D" on the headstock???

hi! Brad, it sounds great.
by the way
Is it easy to apply finish while the bridge is on the uke?

The sound sample is awesome!!! I can't wait to receive that Uke! The sound, even on the recording, is light years better than anything I have heard in person. I am not in a place where there are a variety of Ukes around to sample. In fact, I have never heard a Kanilea, a Koaloha, a Kamaka, an Ohana, or any other really nice brand. I have heard mostly Lanikai Ukes at my local Sam Ash store...oh, and a dolphin! This is so exciting for me. The volume, and the depth and tone sound incredible!

Last edited:
Sounds awesome. The excitement and the waiting has to be torture!

It is!!! But, I know it will be well worth it. Brad is very well reputed as a Luthier, and he has a devoted fan base on this forum.

Thanks everyone. UkeforJC, it is not any harder to apply the finsh with the bridge on, I just mask the bridge off. The problem is trying to rub out and buff the finish with the bridge on. That like many aspects of building, is a compromise. I prefer to attach the neck and bridge before finishing and know that those glue joints are as good as I can make them, and deal with the cosmetic issues later. I have tried Bob Gleason's method of using a hot chisel to remove lacquer and found that a little too exciting for me.

Brad

Top Bottom