Reprising the Fun Build for mendel

Thanks everyone. UkeforJC, it is not any harder to apply the finsh with the bridge on, I just mask the bridge off. The problem is trying to rub out and buff the finish with the bridge on. That like many aspects of building, is a compromise. I prefer to attach the neck and bridge before finishing and know that those glue joints are as good as I can make them, and deal with the cosmetic issues later. I have tried Bob Gleason's method of using a hot chisel to remove lacquer and found that a little too exciting for me.

Brad

Thanks Brad.
I am always so tempted to just put the bridge on and string it up, once the body and neck are assembled. I am just so eagered to know how the instrument sounds and how is the intonation.
I might give it a try ..

I keep looking at the pics. You have done an incredible job Bradford. Thank you!

I am completely jonesing for this Uke!!!! I'm so psyched!! How's the finish going Bradford???

This looks like (and sounds like) such a beautiful uke! It was great to watch the progress in this thread...post more pics when the uke arrives!

WOW!!!! I thought it would be much longer for the finish! I cannot wait to get it in my hands and start strumming it!

I have a question for you Bradford- I've been showing off the pics to my students and friends. I have some people that are curious if you also build guitars. In fact, one person told me that he has always wanted a simple mahogany handmade guitar for years. Not really any desire for bling type stuff. Just a hand-built acoustic. Do you do all fretted instruments?

Hi mendel, I've built and sold 17 guitars, nine were arch tops and the rest flat tops of various sizes. The other fretted instruments I build are mandolins. I'm starting on an F model mando now. I'll post some progress pics of it in the non uke section. I happen to have some mahogany guitar sets that I got on sale from Hibdon, so if your friend wants a quote, send me an email.

Brad

I will let him know tomorrow. Thanks Brad! BTW- I was playing the sound sample you posted on YouTube, and my son started dancing! Apparently, he likes your voice too. Sing it out Man!!!

Top Bottom