Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyed Strings

Default Dyed Strings

Hey guys, i know its a weird question, but here goes. Anyone know weather it is possible to dye nylon strings? I have a black ukulele and i think it would look awesome with orange strings. I know its possible to dye nylon, it just involved heating it. is it possible to dye without distorting the sound?

I don't know about dyeing strings yourself but Guadalupe Custom Strings has long been offering multicolored "hand-painted" nylon strings for mariachi, classical and flamenco players. They also have strings for ukuleles in "your choice of sets in Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Pink, Clear, Black or mixed colors".

Email them and ask if they can do orange.
    Last edited by ChiyoDad; 01-31-2008 at 01:41 PM.

plus dying black nylons would work that much. black is very hard color to dye unless you strip it from its color.

I recently tried some KoAloha dyed strings (discontinued) and some Guadalupe colored monofilament ukulele strings on my Honu concert, and found both to be underwhelming. I had put Worth CD's on it and those really sound much better to me. They're not bad, but they don't really compare to the Worth strings in my opinion.

it would look good, but i wouldn't do it

Default Colored Ukulele Strings

Just got our website up and running, please visit us at www.radstrings.com and check out our inventory of colored ukulele strings! Vivid Sound!!
    Mahalo!

Quote Originally Posted by radstrings View Post
    Just got our website up and running, please visit us at www.radstrings.com and check out our inventory of colored ukulele strings! Vivid Sound!!
    Mahalo!
    Eh, get sum sound bytes or wot?

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

I've read a thread on someone's blog who has successfully dyed nylon strings by soaking them in a hot (not boiling) acidic dye solution like Rit Dye. In another blog, someone used Kool Aid (which he says has dye ie food colouring and is acid based) and added vinegar. The pics of the strings were a tinted colour. Humm, I have some extra Worth Clears kicking around, maybe I'll experiment on them this weekend if I can find Rit Dye in my area.

Edit: Found one of the blogs here:

http://dixiebanjolele.blogspot.com/2...n-strings.html

Uke Republic also carries the Aurora strings. Had no idea they were made by Aquila. Might have to pick some up myself: http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product...kulele-strings
    My Pineapple Patch: Kala KA-P Soprano sounds great with Martin M600's, my Ohana PK-25 Soprano sounds wonderful with Living Water and my Koaloha KSM-03 with Living Water strings is heavenly. Plus... a very sweet MIM Peanut!

Thread Information