Wheezy strings?

riceboy927

Reaction score
I know this may sound weird, but when I'm playing my uke, and I do a chunk, lately it seems to make this wheezy sound. Is this my strings? I mean usually I can get the nice crisp scratching noise but for some reason I'm getting a wheeze lol. Weird but no other way to describe it. So is it my strings or am I just playing it strangely today?

Not sure what is going on. Can you provide a sound sample or a video of the problem??

Are they Aquila nylgut strings? They can tend to go kinda scratchy/noisy when the thin gut coating starts fraying.

Anyway, regardless of string type whenever your sound changes for no apparent reason new strings is the first thing to try.

John

Are they Aquila nylgut strings? They can tend to go kinda scratchy/noisy when the thin gut coating starts fraying.

My first thought, as well. Mine get 'squeaky'.

Yep, first thing I would do (plus it is inexpensive) is change out the strings, and give the uke a nice cleaning/polish at the same time.

Yep, first thing I would do (plus it is inexpensive) is change out the strings, and give the uke a nice cleaning/polish at the same time.

Good idea, if they are Nylgut strings it may be wheezing from all the "gut dust" coming off the strings - LOL

You guys were right! Haha they were aquila strings and they were just a bit worn out, so I changed them and gave the uke a nice cleaning. Sounds great again :)

Top Bottom