Is fierce strumming a problem?

funnyguy0804

Reaction score
I've been practicing some songs lately which includes a lot of strumming. When playing a song with quick tempo, I tend to strum fiercely in which sometimes I hit the sides (BOTH sides) of the fret board... and pretty hard too where you can hear a *tap* going with the chords. I can already see some bits of gloss chipped off at the corners along the fret board... :( it hurts...

I see on youtube Jake and Aldrine doing crazy strummings too, but barely hear any tapping sounds that I make...

Is this a (big) problem?

You might watch some of the video tutorials online that teach strumming techniques and work on your "attack". If you are chipping away at the fretboard edges, you are playing too hard.

Don't feel too bad. I have a friend whose guitars are all gouged out at the sound hole and at the other side of the pick guard. He plays with a flat pick. Very frightening when you consider that he plays Martin guitars. He recently had a section of binding reset.

From what I can tell, his problem is that he flexes his wrist--perhaps in a rotating manner--way too much. That might be part of your problem as well. At no time do you want the plane of your strum to slant into the plane of your ukulele's neck or body. Of course, I suppose, it can be tricky to not graze your uke when strumming fast.

Here's a thought: Have you tried a more compact, tighter arc of movement when strumming? I often use my thumb to stop my wrist and fingers from swinging too far past the strings. Basically, what happens is my thumb will use the neck or body as a stop. You get a very sharp down-stroke attack on the strings in this manner. If you use four fingers on this stroke, you get an even larger, louder sound. Also, by using your thumb in this manner, you have a reference point for the plane of your strum.

--Dave E.

Yeah, if your seeing sparks, ya need to practice and adjust your approach a bit. That discoloring of your Aquilas isn't the material they are made from, it's from the heat maybe.. ;)

I think you need to work on technique, playing fast does not equate to playing hard.
I have seen some very fast strummers that are very smooth, in fact I am guessing the smoother your strum the faster you can go.

I think you need to work on technique, playing fast does not equate to playing hard.
I have seen some very fast strummers that are very smooth, in fact I am guessing the smoother your strum the faster you can go.

Well put, great observation.

You might watch some of the video tutorials online that teach strumming techniques and work on your "attack". If you are chipping away at the fretboard edges, you are playing too hard.

Thanks for the advice! I'll check out any videos I can find on the net!

I back off when I start to see smoke.

LOL! Hope not!

Here's a thought: Have you tried a more compact, tighter arc of movement when strumming? I often use my thumb to stop my wrist and fingers from swinging too far past the strings. Basically, what happens is my thumb will use the neck or body as a stop. You get a very sharp down-stroke attack on the strings in this manner. If you use four fingers on this stroke, you get an even larger, louder sound. Also, by using your thumb in this manner, you have a reference point for the plane of your strum.

--Dave E.

You've got a point there. I'll try that one out and see how it works! Thanks!

Yeah, if your seeing sparks, ya need to practice and adjust your approach a bit. That discoloring of your Aquilas isn't the material they are made from, it's from the heat maybe.. ;)

Yeah, I guess it's how I approach the strings. Gotta work on that! I'm using D'Addario J71 clears at the moment... if this kind of strumming carries on, it probably turn into Aquilas... :rolleyes:

or bloodspatter... The Dexter Strum..

bloodspatter ?! I've never heard of the Dexter Strum...

Thanks for the advice! Thinking about it I feel myself using more power than flexibility!

----------

Thanks everyone for the laughs and advices :)
I'll work out on my strummings and hopefully NOT hurt (or burn) the ukulele :p

Top Bottom