Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Build 2011

Default Fun Build 2011

Hey there! Is everyone thawed out? That time of year again... Bradford mentioned in another thread maybe doing a concert pineapple fun build. Sounds like... um... fun! I got dibs on the headstock inlay

Hey Bradford, since this was your idea this time, you get to choose what's to be done with it when finished eh?

What's a fun build? You must be new to the forum. A fun build is where people from all over the globe send a piece of a ukulele to Bradford and he puts it all together for us.

Of course everyone will need a copy of a concert pineapple plan.

Planning to build one in the near future so I'll be watching this closely. Hope it's as loverly as last years.
    Quote Originally Posted by beenfive View Post
    Tape a playboy centerfold on one end of the aquarium and a playgirl centerfold on the other side and she which end of the tank "it" favors....... that is of course that we can assume that your gobie is not gay.

I can't wait to see this thing get built!
    Have a Happy Day, and remember- Take the time to play!!!!

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/richm2778

Custom Donaldson Concert Uke
    "Hugs & Kisses" Model 1.0
    "Na-ni"

Lanikai Lu-21C
    "Cousin Larry"

Charango of unknown origins by way of Trujillo, Peru.
    "Lolita"

I love my David Gill Concert pineapple. What is great about building them, so I am told, is that the body takes less wood for the sides.
    I can't wait to see what this one comes out like. I will be watching this thread for sure
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

Sounds good Vic, I'm in. The Scott Antes concert plan includes both a figure eight shape and a pineapple. It is available from Elderly, so that would be a good place to start. I'll hang back for awhile in terms of what I build, let's see what the others wish to do.

Also, so everyone knows, Chopper recieved the Fun Build soprano on March 28 and loves it.

Brad

Count me in. We can do anything except binding and inlays.

We just recently finished a concert pineapple based on the Scott Antes plans:

ConcertPineapple01.jpg
    ConcertPineapple06.jpg
    ConcertPineapple04.jpg
    ConcertPineapple03.jpg
    ConcertPineapple05.jpg
    Last edited by erich@muttcrew.net; 04-11-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Sweet looking uke Erich... how does it sound? And what kind of tuners are those?

Thanks Vic. Sounds really sweet.

I went a little wider on the string spacing at the bridge to allow plenty of space for bending in the upper frets, but it turned out just a tad too much for the right hand, especially for flatpickers like Thomas.

Tuners are Taisamlu with white pearl buttons.

Hey Erich, welcome aboard. That is a very nice pineapple, by the way. I am thinking you should build the top. You can set the tone for this project, and the others can join in after we see what you put together. From the stand point of logistics, it probably makes the most sense for me to do the sides and binding, as well as the final assembly, everything else is pretty easy to ship. I'm also going to be offering a second prize for this contest, of a ukulele building course at my shop. The winner will get to spend three days at my shop building a soprano uke out of woods of their choice and they go home with the uke. More details to follow. So Erich, use your imagination and inspire us!

Brad

Brad, that sounds like a great second prize. Someone I know will be trying to come in second place

Are you sure you want to be left with the assembly work again? It works for me, but we don't want to impose on your generosity.

As to the top - yes we'll be glad to get started with it. Just to remind you, we don't have the tools and skills to do inlay yet, so I guess we can't put a rosette in. I'll think of something.....

Do we want to agree on a motto or theme for this year's build? What did you guys have in mind?

Erich

Thread Information