Fun Build 2011

Vic D

Reaction score
Hey there! Is everyone thawed out? That time of year again... Bradford mentioned in another thread maybe doing a concert pineapple fun build. Sounds like... um... fun! I got dibs on the headstock inlay :D

Hey Bradford, since this was your idea this time, you get to choose what's to be done with it when finished eh?

What's a fun build? You must be new to the forum. A fun build is where people from all over the globe send a piece of a ukulele to Bradford ;) and he puts it all together for us.

Of course everyone will need a copy of a concert pineapple plan.

Planning to build one in the near future so I'll be watching this closely. Hope it's as loverly as last years.

I can't wait to see this thing get built!

I love my David Gill Concert pineapple. What is great about building them, so I am told, is that the body takes less wood for the sides.
I can't wait to see what this one comes out like. I will be watching this thread for sure

Sounds good Vic, I'm in. The Scott Antes concert plan includes both a figure eight shape and a pineapple. It is available from Elderly, so that would be a good place to start. I'll hang back for awhile in terms of what I build, let's see what the others wish to do.

Also, so everyone knows, Chopper recieved the Fun Build soprano on March 28 and loves it.

Brad

Count me in. We can do anything except binding and inlays.

We just recently finished a concert pineapple based on the Scott Antes plans:

ConcertPineapple01.jpg
ConcertPineapple06.jpg
ConcertPineapple04.jpg
ConcertPineapple03.jpg
ConcertPineapple05.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet looking uke Erich... how does it sound? And what kind of tuners are those?

Thanks Vic. Sounds really sweet.

I went a little wider on the string spacing at the bridge to allow plenty of space for bending in the upper frets, but it turned out just a tad too much for the right hand, especially for flatpickers like Thomas.

Tuners are Taisamlu with white pearl buttons.

Hey Erich, welcome aboard. That is a very nice pineapple, by the way. I am thinking you should build the top. You can set the tone for this project, and the others can join in after we see what you put together. From the stand point of logistics, it probably makes the most sense for me to do the sides and binding, as well as the final assembly, everything else is pretty easy to ship. I'm also going to be offering a second prize for this contest, of a ukulele building course at my shop. The winner will get to spend three days at my shop building a soprano uke out of woods of their choice and they go home with the uke. More details to follow. So Erich, use your imagination and inspire us!

Brad

Brad, that sounds like a great second prize. Someone I know will be trying to come in second place ;)

Are you sure you want to be left with the assembly work again? It works for me, but we don't want to impose on your generosity.

As to the top - yes we'll be glad to get started with it. Just to remind you, we don't have the tools and skills to do inlay yet, so I guess we can't put a rosette in. I'll think of something.....

Do we want to agree on a motto or theme for this year's build? What did you guys have in mind?

Erich

Hey Erich, welcome aboard. That is a very nice pineapple, by the way. I am thinking you should build the top. You can set the tone for this project, and the others can join in after we see what you put together. From the stand point of logistics, it probably makes the most sense for me to do the sides and binding, as well as the final assembly, everything else is pretty easy to ship. I'm also going to be offering a second prize for this contest, of a ukulele building course at my shop. The winner will get to spend three days at my shop building a soprano uke out of woods of their choice and they go home with the uke. More details to follow. So Erich, use your imagination and inspire us!

Brad

Please, please, please I want second place. This is more exciting than the first fun build now.

Hey Erich, I do not mind doing the assembly again, but next year I think it should be assembled in Europe to spread the experience around. Don't worry about inlays, if it needs any, I can take care of it. I'm thinking we should go for "Woods of the World" as a theme this year. The idea would be for the builders to showcase their indigenous woods, while building in the creative manner of Fun Builds. The obvious choice in your case would be German spruce for the top, but if you have other ideas, go for it. It would be great to get some luthiers from Oz to contribute to this, they have some wonderful woods down there.

Brad

Brad, what a coincidence - I was going to suggest Indigenous Woods as a theme myself.

Let's allow people a little bit of liberty, so European woods would count for the parts made in Europe, we may want to distinguish eastern and western woods from the US, and so on.... I hope we can get people from different parts of the globe involved so that the Woods of the World theme really comes through.

Now, let me see. We have German spruce, walnut, maple, sycamore, beech, oak, plum, pear, cherry, apple...... and there's also some nice cedar and olive wood from southern France. Hard to decide. I guess you're right though, the spruce is really good, hard to beat for topwood.

Yes, Oz would be great.... and so would Africa.

Last edited:
This is so great! I'm glad you guys are doing this again. I love my Fun Build uke. Unfortunately I broke my leg last week playing roller derby. The good news is I get to play my uke a lot now! It really is a thing of beauty and as soon as I get a good video together I'll post it for all to hear. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with now!

If every luthier uses locally grown woods, the Uke can be called the "Local-ele"!!!! This is awesome!! I'm so psyched to see what you guys come up with!

Feel better Chopper!!!!

I don't know if I'd be going down the "Localele" road as it's my mates name for his uke line. He's also a member here and pops in from time to time.

If there is anything you want to add from the Australian selection of fine tone woods then let me know.

I knew it was a good name! Kudos to your friend. I have not ever heard of his line of Ukes. Id love to see them. does he have a website? Florida is pretty far from Australia!

Just click on the Localele link in the thread above. Micheal lives in the hills behind Byron Bay in Norther N.S.W. and I'll be heading down to his place in about 8 days to cut wood, prep uke kits for an upcoming building course, and maybe have a few beers on the veranda.

I don't want to spoil your fun, but I don't think we need to go searching for a marketing brand name for the fun build every year. What a waste of time. Fun build 2010, fun build 2011... that says it all and I'm pretty sure that's what these builds will be remembered by. I remember the 2010 build was called Frankenuke, but I don't think I've heard that for a long time. We have so many other questions to answer, we shouldn't bother with public voting on the best brand name that no one can remember next year.

Bookmatch or single-piece top....

OK, I have some nice German spruce that I can use for a top and I've been mulling over whether to bookmatch it or just use a single piece - either would work fine. As a guitar player I tend to expect bookmatched tops, but I guess that's not the case with a lot of ukulele builders, and players.

So, what do you guys think?

Top Bottom