Fun Build 2011

Brad that back is awesome.

Cool, I have an idea for the headstock inlay now and it's gonna be a laugh. Erich, I haven't shipped my woods yet... it'll probably go out by tuesday.

So we have a top and a back and a headstock inlay. Need some more parts for this uke soup.

This is so great! I'm glad you guys are doing this again. I love my Fun Build uke. Unfortunately I broke my leg last week playing roller derby. The good news is I get to play my uke a lot now! It really is a thing of beauty and as soon as I get a good video together I'll post it for all to hear. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with now!

Can't wait to see the video!

I'm sooo gonna regret this. But. Are you in a hurry with that fretboard..? I do have some nice swedish hardwood lying around, but it's not sawn to dimensions...

Thank you Sven, there is no hurry on any of this. But, at this point, if you can only manage to send me a piece of wood for the fretboard, that would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

I'll split a wedge next time I get to the large workshop. Probably in a couple of weeks time, maybe sooner.

Well I must admit I am currently so swamped with writing work that I haven't been able to invest much time at all in anything else.

Vic, I was kinda waiting to get a bit of your spalted maple and rainbow poplar to fit into the rosette. The other pieces are cut and preshaped, but I want to wait so I can balance the colors and grain of the different pieces. Just PM me if you changed your mind.

Hi mendel, as you can see we are in hurry up and wait mode, so there is not a lot going on. I am doing a wood swap with Liam from Oz, so I am hoping to use some of his wood for the sides and add his name to the list. To stir up some excitement here are some more details on the second place prize. I am offering a three day ukulele building course at my shop in Cannon Beach, OR. The winner will assist me in building a soprano uke, which they will get to keep. They will choose the woods and the style and we will go from there. For liability reasons, I will handle all the power tools, but they will have a chance to bend some wood and get glue on their fingers while picking my brains on all matters of lutherie. The winner will need to come to Cannon Beach and arrange for at least three days accomodations. If it is not practical for the winner to come here, the prize is fully transferable and can be sold, traded or given away as they see fit. Now I am going to have to clean up my shop.
Brad

Well I must admit I am currently so swamped with writing work that I haven't been able to invest much time at all in anything else.

Vic, I was kinda waiting to get a bit of your spalted maple and rainbow poplar to fit into the rosette. The other pieces are cut and preshaped, but I want to wait so I can balance the colors and grain of the different pieces. Just PM me if you changed your mind.

I didn't change my mind, I've just been sideswiped by life. If I have the dollars to spare I'll try to send the woods this weekend. If at least something goes right soon I'll have the inlay done a few weeks.

Well you can never EVER guess what happened... I got my sorry arse in gear and made a fretboard blank. Two actually, but the first one had soft spots in it. That was lilac, which is really hard. One of the hardest woods native to Sweden. Second one is juniper, I was lucky to find a log I cut a few years ago, sealed ends and dried under a bed where I forgot it.

Is anyone doing the bridge, or I could include a matching bridge blank.

Sven

I've got the inlay drawn and laid out, I'll try to get to it this evening.
I've also got a package ready, a couple of soprano back and sides sets ( 1 poplar, 1 maple) along with some wood scraps for Erich but I haven't sent it yet.. I'll try to get it out this weekend.

At the risk of sounding silly, this Uke sounds dreamy. While I'm writing my paper or working on otherwise boring things, this stuff keeps me going. I can't wait to see the finished product even if I'm not the lucky winner.

Bradford- second prize may be better than first prize!!! You are an amazing guy to be willing to give someone that type of an opportunity. I'd love to win second to see the birthplace of my favorite Uke!! I'd also love the trip ou to Oregon. My wife would not ever want to come home...

Mendel

When bbycrts was here Sunday, I went to show him the back of the 2011 Fun Build and I could not find it. It took me an hour after he left to track it down. I need a couple more projects!

Brad

Top Bottom