Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Build 2011

Woods of the world....

Having said I would tend to use German spruce for the top, I've been trying to think of ways to spice it up a little and also get the "woods of the world" theme in. Despite its strength and tonal qualities, spruce is actually kinda plain. So I had the idea of creating a rosette with a "collage wheel" made up of wood pieced from all over the world. I'm thinking the rosette could include about 18 pieces, give or take a few. I've started collecting pieces and have come up with about ten good candidates, like these
    maple.jpg (maple)
    sapele.jpg (sapele)
    santos.jpg (santos)
    gold-RW.jpg (golden IRW)
    walnut.jpg (walnut)

Some of them are local woods, while others are "exotics" - all in keeping with the theme. Anyway I was wondering if the others have an idea what kinds of wood they want to use for the fun build and whether you'd like to send me some small pieces (about 2x4 inches) that I could try and integrate into the "woods of the world" rosette. I can't promise I'll be able to fit everything in, but I certainly would try my best.
    Last edited by erich@muttcrew.net; 04-13-2011 at 12:11 PM.

What about purple heart from south America? Add some color in it.
    Or spalted Maple for some crazy lines
    Honestly I have no clue what is cool, so...
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

Sounds good Erich. Message me with your address and I'll mail you some spalted ambrosia maple and rainbow poplar.

Sounds like a very good idea Erich. I'll probably use myrtle for the sides, send me your address and I'll send you some.
    Brad

Thanks guys, I'll PM you my address right away. Myrtle, ambrosia and rainbow poplar will be excellent additions to the pallet.

One thing to keep in mind is that the "pie pieces" are going to be really small, so I would go for narrow grain patterns, or small bands or spots of figure, etc. I'll put together a mock-up later to show what I'm thinking.

Has anyone else said they want to get involved? Where have all the fun build enthusiasts gone?

I have too much on the bench (as well as on the office desk) right now. I'll chip in 2012. At least that's how it looks now.

Sven
    Building blog - http://www.argapa.blogspot.com
    Music and atrocities - http://www.goodcopbadcop.se

Thanks for the update Sven. I know the feeling - I'm booked till end of September.

Default Top bracing and radiusing

Brad, I recently made a radius template (as shown in Cumpiano) for hand radiusing braces and used it to make the braces for a small X-braced guitar. I haven't actually put the braces on the front and back yet, however, so I'm not sure whether it's all going to work as planned.

Anyway, keeping in mind that the rosette will not yet be installed in the top, I'm wondering if I should (1) radius, (2) preshape, (3) attach, (4) trim the braces..... before I send you the top.

Cheers,
    Erich

It would problably be better Erich if I used my radius dish to do that. That way the sides will match everything.

Brad

OK, so would you like me to at least preshape them? Forgive the split infinitive - I just had to.

Thread Information