Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 97

Thread: Fun Build 2011

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
    Hey Vic, sorry about all your troubles and I did not mean to sound like I was complaining. I certainly have not been a ball of fire getting things done. My comment was just a general observation. I do hope things get better for you soon, the Fun build has been a wonderful thing for a lot of us, and you deserve much of the credit for its success.

    Brad
    Sorry bout that, Brad. I've been a real argle bargle lately. Thanks so much for the nice words, everyone has been real cool with me through my 19th nervous breakdown. Things aren't so bad, really. I've discussed things with the wife and we've decided I should keep on keeping on doing what I like so I'm gonna keep doing ukes and art while teaching myself computer programming. My first programming project is going to be an open source Lutherie program with a strobe tuner, scale / fretboard calculator and maybe a library of wood species and their properties etc... all free of course, lol.

    Thanks for putting up with me,
    Vic

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
    ...the Fun build has been a wonderful thing for a lot of us, and you deserve much of the credit for its success.
    Vic you have been a source of inspiration for many of us.

    Take care,
    Erich

    P.S. Check your PM inbox and your e-mail regarding the inlay job.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    951

    Default

    OK, the pieces for the top are all finished except for one last step, and I was really hoping to get the rest finished today and send it off tomorrow, but....

    The rosette is glued together and thicknessed, but I hadn't looked that closely at the soundhole/rosette adapter for the dremel router base, which I was going to use to cut out the rosette itself (not the channel in the soundboard). I hadn't noticed that it only goes down to 3 inches diameter We were planning to make the inside edge of the rosette about 2.3 inches diameter and the outside edge about 3.3 inches. But we can't cut the inside edge with this setup.

    What now?

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Drill and countersunk two more holes a little closer to the centerline. I can get down to 2-1/4" or so. Probably could even get a bit smaller depending on where you drill.

    Steve

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Thanks Steve.

    So I would drill an additional hole to serve as a new center point at a specific radius (like 2.3 in) from the router point, right?

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    606

    Default

    I drilled the holes so I could use the circle cutter as is. I guess you could grind a little off the base and the circle cutter to get even smaller. Right now my only Internet is on iPhone and I can't figure how to link threads or post pics. I sent a pic to your email, and on an old thread I did called 'Tad's tenor build' on page 5 is a pic also.

    Steve

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Thanks Steve, I got the pic you sent me. I really don't know if I'll be able to do that - I might be able to drill the holes but I don't have the tool(s) to countersink them with.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Maybe not ideal, but in pinch I've used the point of a larger drill bit as a countersink.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    951

    Default Update on the Fun Build 2011

    Hi everyone, and all the best for 2012.

    Here's my latest update on the the Fun Build 2011, or is it now called 2011+ or 2012?

    I added the two holes to the StewMac thingy, as Steve suggested.

    P1020305_sm.jpg

    And today I cut out the rosette - here's how it turned out:


    P1020290_sm.jpg

    P1020296_sm.jpg

    P1020299_sm.jpg

    So now the top, rosette and braces are all finished and ready to ship.

    Brad, if you would rather have me cut the channel and inlay the rosette myself, that's fine - though I'm sure you'd get a better result with your router than I will with our Dremel. Still, I guess it's doable, so let me know what you think.
    Last edited by erich@muttcrew.net; 01-06-2012 at 04:23 AM.

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,192

    Default

    Nice job on the rosette, looks like fun. How did you "easily" figure out and cut all the angles?
    A word or caution when routing the rosette channel into spruce (or cedar or redwood).... I like to brush several coats of thinned lacquer to the rosette area first. Make sure it really penetrates and dries before cutting the channel. Otherwise you'll get that dreaded grain tear out in the 4 o'clock and 10 o'clock positions. Any flaws become real obvious in spruce. (I also do the same thing with the binding channels.)
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •