Hampton Roads Ukulele Group (HUG)

Maiyah888

Reaction score
It's spring -- let's meet up and uke out!

I'm thinking regularly once a month on a Monday evening with spontaneous jaunts during the other weeks (like to Tanner's Creek and The Venue Open Mics in Norfolk and/or various festivities in our area, especially the boardwalk at VA beach).

For me the third Monday of the month works (and it's AFTER tax time).

7:00 - 9 pm, so everyone has time to get dinner and get home by a reasonable hour?

Send me a PM!

Maiyah

So does the 3rd Monday work for people?

I've called the Starbucks at Harbor View, in Suffolk, just off 664
5883 Harbour View Boulevard, Suffolk, VA 23435

They're open 'til 9:30 pm Mon - Thu

Also have left a msg for A Latte Cafe on Granby St in Norfolk

http://www.yelp.com/biz/alatte-cafe-norfolk-2
321 Granby Street, Norfolk, VA 23510-1909 (757) 625-2326

Parking might be difficult here, though.

mondays work for me maiyah..ill try n bring my friend if hes not busy

As it turns out, next Thursday April 21st I'll be in Norfolk to teach.

So who wants to uke it in the evening in Ghent? Elliott's Coffeeshop? 7 pm - 9 pm?

And the Monday before that, April 18th, at the Starbucks in Harbor View, Suffolk, VA near the Harris Teeter off of 17 (take the James River Bridge 17 North exit off of 664).

7:30 - 9:00 pm.

Cafe Latte is Norfolk is adorable BUT they don't have a parking lot and they're only open during the day.

Last edited:
i like norfolk because its closer but i can do suffolk.

See You Thursday Then

It's all good -- Thursday in Norfolk works for me at 7 pm at Elliott's.

I'll also be at the Starbucks the preceding Monday, to see if anyone else shows up!

Sorry for the previous inaccuracy -- I counted incorrectly b/c my on-line calendar was formatted weirdly. My bad.

Last edited:
So we had fun last night!

rockabilly got there first, but waited as I talked w/ one of my clients who was getting herself an iced frappacino. Her grandkids wanted to mug me for "Elvis" the black sparkle Makala Dolphin Uke.

When the White Sparkle shows up, I think I'll name him "Liberace." Or Lady Gaga.

Anyways, we talked a bit and strummed a bit -- very informal, though I'd brought TAB copies for MoonDance, No One and Singin' In the Rain (2 chord songs FTW!).

A nice couple stopped by and talked for half and hour. Then a guy sat and talked for about an hour -- turns out he and his 2 teenagers have ukuleles, and he graduated from college in my home town!

rockabilly has some REALLY nice ukes. Like K brand ukes. Whoa.

hi maiyah.. i had a good time last night..your a blast to hang a out with!...i love your singing...now that we got the introduction out the way maybe you can show me some songs...i should be at elliotts unless something comes up

Bonus Meetup --

Arts within Reach Festival for Kids

Free Crafts, Bounce House, Food and Performances
12 noon - 4 pm
April 30, 2011
James Monroe School
34th and Colonial
Norfolk, VA

My Kids' Music Project will debut their ukulele playing and the song they co-wrote as their class project!

Meet up week!

Every 3rd Monday and Thursday:

1) 3rd Monday (May 16, 2011) 7-9 pm, Starbucks in Harbor View, Suffolk, VA

2) 3rd Thursday (May 19, 2011) 7-9 pm, Elliott's Fairgrounds, Ghent, Norfolk, VA

Woo hoo!

Fun meetups this week -- from Weezer's Island in the Sun to Let It Be (practicing for UWC!).

And I played a concert for the first time -- lovely sound! But the frets are so far apart!

I'm sorry for reviving such an old thread, but is this Hampton Roads group still active?

Top Bottom