UU VIP Program

I was pleased until I realized this wasn't for the UU VIP Porgram. I was looking forward to that.
Now? I just don't know how I feel.

Yearly subscription paid. Thanks and keep on doing what you do.

Regards,
Ray

Oh well here I go making an ass of my self, again.

Really I'd have preferred that you had brought the price down way low and made all contributing posters members. Free perusal of the site, but if you wished to be part of the discussion and ask for help etc, you need to be a paid up member. I'm a bit sad that we will have two levels of UU membership. From my experiences elsewhere, the "members" tend to have an elitist attitude, and having special user titles tends to give such members an aura of exclusivness that can be retarding for non "members". The joy of UU for me has been the willingness for members to share their knowledge with candour and alloha spirit, as I felt that we were all equalls and one person's opinion was as valid as the next. The assuming of user titles in my opinion jeopardizes that equality.

This comment does not in any way diminish my high esteem of this forum and it's members, nor my thanks and regards to the creators and maintainers of the forum. Heck I dont even begrudge the $$$. But a change has been wrought to our ukulele home. As a confirmed luddite, I lament that change.

Cheers, Tony

(mmmm when I have paid up I wonder if will I keep the UU VIP user title to provide my self with sufficient gravitas to post such comments? I'll probably cow and do so)

Well, UU VIPs do help keep the forum running so I guess they deserve a little pat on the back for the rest of the people. right? :)

Oh well here I go making an ass of my self, again.

Really I'd have preferred that you had brought the price down way low and made all contributing posters members. Free perusal of the site, but if you wished to be part of the discussion and ask for help etc, you need to be a paid up member. I'm a bit sad that we will have two levels of UU membership. From my experiences elsewhere, the "members" tend to have an elitist attitude, and having special user titles tends to give such members an aura of exclusivness that can be retarding for non "members". The joy of UU for me has been the willingness for members to share their knowledge with candour and alloha spirit, as I felt that we were all equalls and one person's opinion was as valid as the next. The assuming of user titles in my opinion jeopardizes that equality.

This comment does not in any way diminish my high esteem of this forum and it's members, nor my thanks and regards to the creators and maintainers of the forum. Heck I dont even begrudge the $$$. But a change has been wrought to our ukulele home. As a confirmed luddite, I lament that change.

Cheers, Tony

(mmmm when I have paid up I wonder if will I keep the UU VIP user title to provide my self with sufficient gravitas to post such comments? I'll probably cow and do so)

Hey Tony -
no worries, that is a valid viewpoint.
However.. :D...
I suspect you are under-estimating UU'ers. This forum is different IMHO, just like Uke players are kinda different too. Over all we are more inclusive and like to get involved with others. I also suspect that the UU VIP area will be a MINOR aspect of the forums with most people (VIP included) posting on the 'outer' boards.

And from my perspective - if this is what is needed to keep UU going - for $5/month or $45/year - I am all for it. Economic reality.

But again - your viewpoint is certainly welcomed by me just think you may be too cynical.

Last edited:
Well, UU VIPs do help keep the forum running so I guess they deserve a little pat on the back for the rest of the people. right? :)

I think Rayan a forum which engenders aloha spirit is a forum worth running.

The posts of so many hints, tips, techniques, encouragement, support, fellowship, gifts, amusement, controversy, opinions, leads, facts, et cetera provide the forum with it's content and worth. The freedom members have felt to add to this content is I feel being eroded somewhat.

I certainly do not support an argument about the validity of financially supporting the UU. Basic economics is that what costs money must be paid for :). But a segregation of UU membership makes me sad.

Cheers, Tony

Last edited:
In fact, since you are browsing the website, and using it already and done almost 500 posts , ill give you a breakdown on what things cost. I work in IT, servers specifically, so im only estimating this here.

Server cost: Probably around $200USD a month (depending on setup)
Time Cost: Probably a crapload to maintain, spam detecting on forum, server upgrades, backups, mainenance etc
Domain cost: probably diddly, but its a yearly cost
Current Income: whatever they get donated currently and adverts - probably not covering costs.

So currently, they would probably be running at a loss, which they are paying for themselves, to provide you guys with the resources you are using free of charge.
If regular users paid the $5 , they could cover costs they have currently and not be out of pocket.

Currently those not donating are pretty much taking money out of their pocket :)

I am a 16 year old boy, with a limited income and no job... I do not begrudge a $45/year cost, and will gladly pay it at the end of next week when I have the money! I was simply saying, based on Rayans description, that UU+ sounded like my kinda thing, and without knowing how much it will cost I would prefer to hold out. However, his subsequent post about "working something out" for those already helping out makes me certain I will in fact donate at the end of next week. No need to get testy about my desire to donate to whichever "program" would be best for my specific desires.

I am a 16 year old boy, with a limited income and no job... I do not begrudge a $45/year cost, and will gladly pay it at the end of next week when I have the money! I was simply saying, based on Rayans description, that UU+ sounded like my kinda thing, and without knowing how much it will cost I would prefer to hold out. However, his subsequent post about "working something out" for those already helping out makes me certain I will in fact donate at the end of next week. No need to get testy about my desire to donate to whichever "program" would be best for my specific desires.
Yup UU+ is going to be great for those looking to level up their uke skills. Some are interested in that and some are not. That's why we're creating 2 programs. Both help keep the site going. Thanks for your support Phil!

Last edited:
Ryan,

Thanks for bringing back the retro UU colors. It has been quite a while since we've had these. But I just paid for a year of VIP. I figure that since I already pay for another private knife forum, why not UU as well. (On that forum you need to be a paying member to list things for sale...helps to avoid fraud.)

I've learned a lot about playing ukulele from Aldrine, and the stuff that you and Aaron put together. So despite my great stinginess, when I saw this announcement, I knew that giving a little bit back to you guys was the right thing to do. I don't play very much ukulele any more since I'm so busy with preparing for the CPA and CFA exams, work, and school, but I really do appreciate the good service that you guys have provided with UU. The monthly video lessons themselves are worth it.

I'll probably manually renew it at the end of the year too. (I do the same thing with all my magazine subscriptions...as taught by Ramit Sethi, author of I Will Teach You to Be Rich.)

Thanks again, and keep up the good work. You guys need to come down to Oahu sometime over the summer and do a huge meet and greet! I haven't seen Aldrine in forever.

Ryan,

Thanks for bringing back the retro UU colors. It has been quite a while since we've had these. But I just paid for a year of VIP. I figure that since I already pay for another private knife forum, why not UU as well. (On that forum you need to be a paying member to list things for sale...helps to avoid fraud.)

I've learned a lot about playing ukulele from Aldrine, and the stuff that you and Aaron put together. So despite my great stinginess, when I saw this announcement, I knew that giving a little bit back to you guys was the right thing to do. I don't play very much ukulele any more since I'm so busy with preparing for the CPA and CFA exams, work, and school, but I really do appreciate the good service that you guys have provided with UU. The monthly video lessons themselves are worth it.

I'll probably manually renew it at the end of the year too. (I do the same thing with all my magazine subscriptions...as taught by Ramit Sethi, author of I Will Teach You to Be Rich.)

Thanks again, and keep up the good work. You guys need to come down to Oahu sometime over the summer and do a huge meet and greet! I haven't seen Aldrine in forever.
Thanks Jon, we will have to do a meet up on Oahu one of these days again.

Does being a VIP mean I can request a Midwest U.S. tour in the near future? just askin'......

Top Bottom