Cali Earthquake

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
Hope all our UU family in California is safe. I read there was a pretty bad earthquake today.

Thanks Rayan. The earthquake was centered about 2-3 miles west of me in Corona. I'm at work right now so I haven't seen if anything was knocked over yet. Talked to my kids about 20 mins ago and they are ok but told me it was rocking pretty good.

We were just concluding a snoozer of a sales meeting at my office -- got everybody's attention pretty quick -- I heard 5.8 near Chino Hills, but I'm some 20 miles southwest.

Hope you find all is well when you get home PolyPop

Too many calls to and from socal ate up the cell phone towers' bandwidth. If you want to contact someone, send them a text message.

[rant]While watching KTLA9 report on the 5.4 socal earthquake, I saw a reporter in a liquor store in Chino, CA. She shows a bin of items that fell on the floor, which the employee picked up. Next, she goes to the liquor aisle, whereupon shards of glass lay across the vinyl floor. Soon after, she goes to the wine section displaying shattered red wine bottles on the floor. Something is very wrong with this picture.

I see glass everywhere, yet I see no indication of any liquids. I understand not being able to see the vodkas and other clear spirits on the floor, but shouldn't I see the distinctive dark color of red wine? Obviously, the news crew strategically placed the broken glass all over the floor after the employee cleaned everything up just to get a good story.

I find it disturbing that the mainstream media will make stories up. What else do they lie about? You just can't trust them. Big stories or small stories, nothing will stop them from manipulating the truth.[/rant]

Too many calls to and from socal ate up the cell phone towers' bandwidth. If you want to contact someone, send them a text message.

[rant]While watching KTLA9 report on the 5.4 socal earthquake, I saw a reporter in a liquor store in Chino, CA. She shows a bin of items that fell on the floor, which the employee picked up. Next, she goes to the liquor aisle, whereupon shards of glass lay across the vinyl floor. Soon after, she goes to the wine section displaying shattered red wine bottles on the floor. Something is very wrong with this picture.

I see glass everywhere, yet I see no indication of any liquids. I understand not being able to see the vodkas and other clear spirits on the floor, but shouldn't I see the distinctive dark color of red wine? Obviously, the news crew strategically placed the broken glass all over the floor after the employee cleaned everything up just to get a good story.

I find it disturbing that the mainstream media will make stories up. What else do they lie about? You just can't trust them. Big stories or small stories, nothing will stop them from manipulating the truth.[/rant]

So are you saying they had empty wine bottles in preparation for news crews to cover an unscheduled earthquake?

I find it disturbing that the mainstream media will make stories up. What else do they lie about? You just can't trust them. Big stories or small stories, nothing will stop them from manipulating the truth.

yeah, it's every day and it's so common most don't even realize it. I'm a competitive shooter (yeah, a gun nut) and years back one of the larger networks did a story on how 'scary and destructive' assault weapons are. They shot a watermelon with a then-popular rifle that fit what they defined as an 'assault weapon' but much to their dismay the bullet simply passed through, leaving a tiny hole. Before the story aired, they re-filmed the shot, but using a hidden explosive charge, DETONATED the watermelon for a very dramatic and shocking, though highly inaccurate story.

if it shocks people, it makes them money, and that's what they are there for anyways -- often times it seems that the real truth has little to do with it. People have got to be smart enough to validate bogus stories (of ANY nature) on their own.

yeah, it's every day and it's so common most don't even realize it. I'm a competitive shooter (yeah, a gun nut) and years back one of the larger networks did a story on how 'scary and destructive' assault weapons are. They shot a watermelon with a then-popular rifle that fit what they defined as an 'assault weapon' but much to their dismay the bullet simply passed through, leaving a tiny hole. Before the story aired, they re-filmed the shot, but using a hidden explosive charge, DETONATED the watermelon for a very dramatic and shocking, though highly inaccurate story.

if it shocks people, it makes them money, and that's what they are there for anyways -- often times it seems that the real truth has little to do with it. People have got to be smart enough to validate bogus stories (of ANY nature) on their own.

This I can believe. but the wine bottles? Who would benefit from that?

This I can believe. but the wine bottles? Who would benefit from that?

The story was a couple hours after the earthquake. The earthquake caused minimal damage and most people already cleaned everything up. Even though they couldn't cover the original damage, I think it's pathetic that they need to dig through the trash to recreate a scene for a "newsworthy" report. It's the news. They're supposed to report stories--not make them. I know placing broken wine bottles on the floor without any actual wine doesn't affect society, but it's a matter of ethics when mainstream news stations exaggerate the truth of any kind.

The story was a couple hours after the earthquake. The earthquake caused minimal damage and most people already cleaned everything up. Even though they couldn't cover the original damage, I think it's pathetic that they need to dig through the trash to recreate a scene for a "newsworthy" report. It's the news. They're supposed to report stories--not make them. I know placing broken wine bottles on the floor without any actual wine doesn't affect society, but it's a matter of ethics when mainstream news stations exaggerate the truth of any kind.

Normally I enjoy the continued hijacking of a thread but out of respect to the people of Cali, let's but this one back on track. Natural disasters suck and I hope no one was injured.

Lost a glass candle holder, two (cheap) guitars fell off a shelf, but my ukes are safe and so is my 25+ collection of different martini glasses that are displayed on an overhead 5 inch wide shelf. Go figure, my two favorite things, booze glasses and ukes are safe. I got good karma........

Felt it pretty good where I'm at. Only a few things fell off the shelves here, but we're all ok :D

Yeah, it's all good. .. I was working at my school in Loma Linda when it hit.
It was pretty crazy, that's the first one I've felt in a while.
I was just amazed at how long it lasted lol :eek:

Yeah, it's all good. .. I was working at my school in Loma Linda when it hit.
It was pretty crazy, that's the first one I've felt in a while.
I was just amazed at how long it lasted lol :eek:

Yeah, totally... It lasted awhile that's for sure.

I really didn't notice anything going on, until I looked up and saw my co-worker telling me to get outside. I turned around from where I was working, I saw a bunch of hardware swaying, and large window panes bowing in and out. I guess a construction site isn't the safest place to be at during an earthquake.

I watched the news later, and they did a 5 minute piece on some old brick wall that partially fell in pomona. The reporter got into it about the brick not being reinforced, and all this jargon, but I was like, it's a dumb brick wall, who gives a flying @!#3.

It's true, LA tries so hard to find some type of news story, they drag news out, and make things seem worse than things really are.

Top Bottom