Mortal Kombat (9)

This is such a awesome game. Total fan service to us old farts who enjoyed the first 3 games in the series. If you played Mortal Kombat in the 90s, should definitely check out this new one.

This is such a awesome game. Total fan service to us old farts who enjoyed the first 3 games in the series. If you played Mortal Kombat in the 90s, should definitely check out this new one.

You WOULD make this thread lol

Years ago I used to 'look after' an arcade corner in the largest video rental store in NZ. In other words, my Aunty was the 2IC and the owner (her boss) trusted an 11 year old version of me during my crazy sugar loaded holidays lol. MK2 was out at the time, a couple years later MK3 arrived. Seriously, the hardware for Fatal Fury, King of Fighters... anything by Neo Geo/SNK really... was far, far superior. Mortal Kombat got by on what we now call mindshare - an over-glorified way of saying "the end result of word of mouth, multiplied". In other words "hey man, you've played Street Fighter? pfffftt... Check out Mortal Kombat! FATALITYS BRO!"

I still have a Sega Megadrive (Yanks: Genesis) specific poster for Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 from the Tips and Tricks magazine that was hugely popular back then, it's laminated and everything. That game was about as awesome as the Megadrive/Genesis got... excluding games that had boosted ROM capacity like Sonic 3 & Knuckles...

I wish Sega would revive the Streets of Rage series, or at least let exist the recent remake that they cease-and-desisted out of existence. The world is missing awesome classic storyline games like that...

Years ago I used to 'look after' an arcade corner in the largest video rental store in NZ. In other words, my Aunty was the 2IC and the owner (her boss) trusted an 11 year old version of me during my crazy sugar loaded holidays lol. MK2 was out at the time, a couple years later MK3 arrived. Seriously, the hardware for Fatal Fury, King of Fighters... anything by Neo Geo/SNK really... was far, far superior. Mortal Kombat got by on what we now call mindshare - an over-glorified way of saying "the end result of word of mouth, multiplied". In other words "hey man, you've played Street Fighter? pfffftt... Check out Mortal Kombat! FATALITYS BRO!"

I still have a Sega Megadrive (Yanks: Genesis) specific poster for Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 from the Tips and Tricks magazine that was hugely popular back then, it's laminated and everything. That game was about as awesome as the Megadrive/Genesis got... excluding games that had boosted ROM capacity like Sonic 3 & Knuckles...

I wish Sega would revive the Streets of Rage series, or at least let exist the recent remake that they cease-and-desisted out of existence. The world is missing awesome classic storyline games like that...

I just geeked all over myself reading this post.

Just got it and I'm hooked. The rampant elitism of other fighting games has made them a lot less enjoyable to play online, so I'm hoping that when the PSN comes up, this will be a little more casual and fun.

Just got it and I'm hooked. The rampant elitism of other fighting games has made them a lot less enjoyable to play online, so I'm hoping that when the PSN comes up, this will be a little more casual and fun.

One of the things that I really like about this new mm is that the combo system is VERY forgiving. In street fighter, links and cancels need to be performed in very tight frame windows, but in MK9, you just need to hit the right button combos as fast as you can and your combo will come out. In other words, you can land very damaging/gratifying combos fairly easily.

I havent been able to find a match online but I pm having a lot of fun with the training mode just doing combos and air juggles.

I havent been able to find a match online but I pm having a lot of fun with the training mode just doing combos and air juggles.

Have you been playing as Kitana? I've been having trouble getting good juggles and can use a little help.

Have you been playing as Kitana? I've been having trouble getting good juggles and can use a little help.

Kitana is a beast with juggling. Corner 'em and try the Forward+Circle, Square combo. If they're not cornered it's trickier, but you can still land the cutting fan or pretty kick afterwards. The jumping punch + fan toss combo is a good set-up too, even if it doesn't do a lot of damage.

Be prepared to throw all of that out the window if you're playing online because the lag screws everything up. :(

Top Bottom