Something I've been wanting to do

I'm reviving this thread because....well it was an awesome build and think those that have not been around here that long should see it!
I know I enjoyed re-reading this. :)

I'm happy that you resurrected the thread because, as you say, I hadn't seen it. What great fun from an obviously brilliant builder. Great job Ken!

Wow, wish I could hear it, but it looks magnificent! Love the fret markers too!

I missed this thread first time around 'cause I hadn't joined UU yet. That was a simply brilliant and beautiful work of art, Ken. I tried doing the same thing, purchasing two "clean" pallets and letting them dry in a spare room for over a year. Once I got them apart, the wood was a lot worse than it seemed on first inspection, with numerous twists and such. I was able to get two pieces of Ash just big enough for the sides of my "scrapwood" tenor uke, and a few more bits for things like bridge plates. The rest went into the garbage bin.

Last edited:
Beautiful Ken. What brand of tuning pegs are those? I've had poor luck with Grover and a couple other brands that are fine for sopranos but don’t hold tenor strings very securely. I ended up with Gotohs but would rather not spend that much again.

I'm always looking for useable free or cheap wood. I noticed this pallet out back at work a few weeks ago because some of the wood looked pretty nice. After I got it home and cut up I realized that the middle six boards on the deck were cherry. Not high grade, curly or anything, but mostly quarter sawn. A little light sanding and a wipe show cherry's characteristic chatoyance. The boards are 12-13 mm thick by 92 mm or so wide. Enough to make some economy soprano or concert bodies. Other boards in the pallet were white oak, and some other white wood that looks like maple.

Attachments

• Pallet.jpg
    Pallet.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Pallet_Cherry.jpg
    Pallet_Cherry.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Pallet_Cherry_2.jpg
    Pallet_Cherry_2.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom