Something I've been wanting to do

I can't wait to see how this turns out, Ken. What strange cast-off wood will be next?

Ken,

Looking really good. Almost too good really. what sort of finish are you thinking? A "stored in the shed" look or, or something a little more sparkly?

"faking" the rat look patina is not that easy... but it could look awesome.

6sc

ps: you missed a great wedding - I loved every minute of it :)

Time to do the Rosette bit...It's a one piece rosette job, done on my old converted Kerry bench drill/milling machine..on a small rotary table.
First I mill out the groove with the right size cutter.
PICT0040-2 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
PICT0043-1 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
Nice chunk of contrasting Paduke for the rosette.
PICT0048 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
with the cutter stil set at the same diametre as the groove a shallow skim on the surface.
PICT0051-1 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Um... what, exactly, will you be doing with this afterwards?

Because I'm feeling a level of desire usually reserved for Mary Stuart Masterson in Some Kind Of Wonderful or a Moore Bettah...

"What do you want to be when you grow up??" ME: "A LUTHIER!!"

This is just so freaking cool to watch & can't wait to hear the finished "experiment"!

This is too cool! I've done a similar Telecaster project with some old barnwood.

Up Arrows as fret markers and "This End Up" stenciled on the body. This is a really interesting thread. Wondering how the sound will be.

Timbuck:

I may have missed it in an earlier thread, but can you give me more information on your plate jig that is shown on page 2. I notice that you have taken a complex jig and simplified it to be totally practical and easy to make from some scrap lumber. Some more pictures and details on how you make it work would be great. If you feel this isn't the place, then maybe a new thread.

I also love your use of rare earth magnets for the back graft. How did that work out?

Konala

I'm not a luthier and I've not played one on TV. My question is: Would the sound be the same if you hadn't filled the little holes in?

Wow. My kind of build. I'm in love with the nail-holes and that ratty pine. Just inspired.

Timbuck:

I also love your use of rare earth magnets for the back graft. How did that work out?

Konala

It worked ok but you need a steel or iron plate at the back.....A "go bar deck" or clamps or weights or (if you've got one?) a vacuum press will work just as well.

Top Bottom