Win my Kala solid acacia pocket uke!

OldePhart

Reaction score
I was going to offer my Kala solid acacia pocket uke for sale in the marketplace but it seems like the marketplace is pretty full right now so I decided it would be lots of fun to give it away instead!

John's Olde Time Religion Ukulele Hymn Contest​
The grand (and only) prize is my like-new Kala solid acacia pocket uke complete with its stylish padded gig bag!

Edit - Submit your entries by making them video responses to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRACEe5tObA

1) Must be an old-style hymn of the Christian faith. Preferably something from the public domain. Songs like Amazing Grace, A Shelter in the Time of Storm, etc., etc. (One online source lists about 2600 such songs in the public domain.) I'm not going to limit the contest to English - but I don't speak any other languages so please provide on-screen subtitles in English if you decide to sing in another language. (Feel free to include subtitles with lyrics and chords in any case.)

2) You needn't be a believer to enter. I will probably tend to award higher scores to videos that convey the impression that the song was meaningful to you beyond just being the vehicle by which you hope to win a ukulele, though.

3) Must prominently feature you or your video partners on ukulele (i.e. you can't just "piggy back" on somebody else's ukulele video). Additional instruments are permitted, as are unlimited overdubbing, multi-tracking, picture-in-picture, special effects, etc. Collaborations are certainly permissible but there is only one indivisible prize, which will be awarded to the individual submitting the video.

4) Avoid copyrighted material (i.e. no dubbing with another artist without permission, etc.)

5) May be sung or a recognizable :) instrumental. I emphasize "recognizable" because a chord progression is not a song (Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain illustrates this brilliantly with their mashups). I've seen videos where people say, "I'm going to play..." and then proceed to play nothing but the chord progression and the song is unrecognizable even if you know it well. When a performance includes vocals singing the melody, you have a song. When a performance includes instruments either playing the melody or recognizably suggesting the melody (as in jazz) you have a song. When all you have is a chord progression you have...a chord progression.

6) Must include some video of the performance (i.e. I'm not interested in slideshows or unrelated videos with a soundtrack). It is permissible to mix such elements into the video, but I have to come away with the overall impression that it was a performance music video and not just a soundtrack to something else.

7) Entries must be identified within the video (either via titling or spoken statement) as being for "John's Olde Time Religion Ukulele Hymn Contest" and sent as video responses to the YouTube video that I linked to near the top of this post.

8) Enter as many times as you wish. The contest will close on the 30th of June* at midnight in the US central time zone (I think that's UTC-8 but I don't recall for certain - don't cut your entry so close that it matters!)

NOTE: I've extended the closing date of the concert from the 15th of June to the 30th of June so those who are away at school will have some time to enter a video.​

9) I'll pay slow-boat shipping to the winner world-wide. If the winner is outside the United States they will be responsible for any customs duties. I won't falsify customs forms, but I will indicate the item as used and as a prize won in a talent contest. If the winner wants to upgrade shipping, I will do so if they pay the difference in cost via PayPal.

So, what are the judging criteria? Well, the judges are going to be me, myself, and I. If I get stumped I may ask a mystery guest to assist me in the final selection. It's a winner take all and the decision is final. There are no 2nd, 3rd, runner up, etc. prizes. I could be Solomon and offer to divide the prize among three winners, but I'm not real sure that part of a pocket uke is worth winning! I plan to judge using a secret proprietary formula that is quite complex (translated, I haven't formalized the parameters yet). Basically, while musicality, vocal quality, etc. will certainly be factors, I'll also be judging things like how much effort somebody put into the project, how much I feel that the person(s) in the video have some connection with the song, and so on. Making the video content interesting is definitely a plus - I'm not talking pretty girls interesting (this is one contest I guarantee will not be won on cleavage), but how well the video elements support the content of the song.

Note that I'll be away for two weeks at the end of May and beginning of June, so entries submitted during that time might not be approved for inclusion as a video response until sometime after I get back.

Last edited:
Great contest John. Eveyone loves contests! It brings out the best in folks.

Beautiful idea! I was thinking of doing something similar myself, but you beat me to it. I'll have to enter soon and many times! :)

Beautiful idea! I was thinking of doing something similar myself, but you beat me to it. I'll have to enter soon and many times! :)
I agree about the idea of wanting to do a similar contest. I still will but I will wait until after this one is done. John I applaud you for being the first to start a contest of this sort.

No...! I'm living away at uni at the moment but get home the week after the deadline. I've already got an idea and everything based on something I do with a band on a sunday morning anyway :/

Good Luck to everyone else!

Great idea! I'm in.

oh that kala is darling! and it would be easier for me to carry one of those around, I have a favorite song that means a lot to me too that I would love to do, only I don't know if it is copywritten :( but the contest is good inspiration to learn another :)

Okay folks I managed to record and upload the YouTube video where you need to send your entries as video responses. I edited the first post in this thread to add that link.

If it looks like I'm listing to one side and about to fall out of my chair that's not far wrong. I recorded this after working on my addition (new man cave, yeah!) all day, and then going out to play in the sprinklers with the grandkids. So, the arm of the chair is pretty much holding me up. LOL

John

Thanks John. This is truly a worthwhile contest as any. Just trying to think of something nice to put together for it. Sure, the winner will get a lovely prize, but God it is who gets the glory! Credit where credit's due eh? Cheers mate. :)

Thanks for putting up this competition, oldphart it's a good idea to help me move past strumming and up the more unknown area past the fifth fret marker.
There are soooo many hymns to choose from, how am I gonna do it, I have to take a deep breath, I'm breathing, I can do this. I have to close my eyes and press a letter on the keyboard that'll help. I'm not gonna say which letter I have pressed and luckily it wasn't the big giant red button. saying do not press.;)

forgive my ignorance, but I've got an entry on my utube channel, how do I get to your page?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjswtewh5BA

Good job. We're off, folks, first entry is in!

Nothing to forgive, it's not real obvious. What you do is go to the page showing my video, and click inside the text box where you can enter comments. When you do the page changes a little and you'll see a link beside or under the box that says "or Create a video response." When you click that it will take you to a list of videos that you have uploaded, you select the video from that list that you want to enter in the contest and then follow the prompts to confirm it. All there is to it.

Thanks,
John

hey John

I posted my first entry as a 'video response' to yours...or at least I thought I did...but for some reason it's not comin up on the screen under yours. Hmmm...not sure why...but here 'tis anyway :eek:

I love both of those entries ...

I've never entered a ukulele competition before because I am really not 'that much' of a player., so much so that I would really only call myself a novice / beginner - but this one appeals to me, so I might well have a go, if I can learn something in time.

Good luck to all who enter - a lovely theme for a competition and a lovely prize for it too.

Thanks for hosting it :)

I've never entered a ukulele competition before because I am really not 'that much' of a player., so much so that I would really only call myself a novice / beginner - but this one appeals to me, so I might well have a go, if I can learn something in time.

Good luck to all who enter - a lovely theme for a competition and a lovely prize for it too.

the thing is though Mia, about THIS competition is that it's the ultimate leveller, so that, to me anyway, it's really not a 'competition' at all.

I think that God views us all equally, irrespective of how well we might play or sing...He's more interested in the heart that goes into it. And whether we are in key or out, hitting the right notes or bung ones, He doesn't care. It all is gonna sound good to Him. It's not about the competitors or winner getting any glory because, by definition, all of that is being handed back to God in worship. :worship: It puts us all on the same page. Great, there'll be a 'winner'... but in God's sight we shall all be winners together. Kinda nice, eh!

My prayer is that heaps and heaps of people will enter, and that others too will be drawn to listen to some songs they may not have heard before. :)

To Be honest MiaRosie it was a competition about a a year or so ago that I informed me of UU! Competitions for me are not so much about winners or losers but joining in a community,

If I can get something polished may give this a go myself...not cos I can win but cos I can join in something bigger than myself,

Chris

Top Bottom