Ukuleles in Movies

It's a Martin. Style O, I think, but possibly a Style 1. I couldn't see the "diagnostic feature" (a Style 1 and 2 would have double dot position marker at the 7th fret, but a Style O would just have a single dot there).

Last edited:
It's a Martin. Style O, I think, but possibly a Style 1. I couldn't see the "diagnostic feature" (a Style 1 and 2 would have double dot position marker at the 5th fret, but a Style O would just have a single dot there).

I want one.

in the movie get him to the greek (summer movie of '11) they begin a scene with aldous snow finishing a song with his father. aldous was playing a ukulele and the father a guitar. the dialogue that follows, aldous is clearly seen holding a ukulele.

There's a sweet little movie called "Stanley's Gig" about a misfit who dreams of getting a gig playing ukulele on a cruise ship and befriends an elderly jazz singer. I think Ian Whitcomb and maybe Jim Beloff did the uke playing on the soundtrack. It's on Netflix or you can watch an abbreviated version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswIZhjrgnA&feature=player_embedded

I just found a copy of "Stanley's Gig" yesterday on ebay for $2.99!!! and promptly ordered it. Recommended to anyone who likes to try and write songs. HIGHLY recommended to ALL ukulele geeks!!!! (yep, that's you I'm talkin' to bro & sis'). Lovely film with a nice helping of cheese.

In the UK show, "Fireman Sam", Trevor plays a Ukulele a few times, one time he forgets the food for the camping trip, but remembers his Ukulele...that guy has his priorities right!

In Ramona and Beezus, in the Music Class scene, they have a wall full of colorful Sopranos, I think they were Mahalos.

In the happy days double episode "The Graduation" where the Fonz is taking night-school classes, Big Al plays a ukulele up front with the band at the Graduation ceremony...

looks like a tenor but near impossible to tell what brand...

Buster Keaton plays a Jazz Age college kid with a uke at the beginning of "Steamboat Bill, Jr" (1928). He doesn't play it, and it gets stomped on by his dad.

Buster Keaton plays a Jazz Age college kid with a uke at the beginning of "Steamboat Bill, Jr" (1928). He doesn't play it, and it gets stomped on by his dad.
Keaton also has a uke in the film "College". He eventually falls on it and smashes it. I'm sensing a theme here...

Buster Keaton apparently DID actually play though. I've seen a clip from some movie (I have no idea what it is), where he, Cliff Edwards and some other guy are in WWI uniforms. Keaton is fingering the chords on a Martin Taropatch, while Edwards drums on the strings with drumsticks and does one of his mouth-trumpet things, and the third guy is plucking a rifle like an upright bass while he sings a bass line.

I watched "Some Like It Hot" again last night. The ukulele Marilyn Monroe is playing is a Martin Style 3... Painted WHITE!!! Yikes!

'Mister Roberts' was on the other day... a trio of sailors were on deck singing "The Yellow Stain Blues" while one played a uke, maybe a Harmony?
I almost plotzed!:eek:ld:

"The Giant Gila Monster" - 1959

The hero, Chase (Don Sullivan), plays the banjo uke and sings for a couple (frankly horrible) musical numbers. Best to watch the MST3K version, to preserve your sanity.

Last Embrace

circa 1979. Starring Roy Scheider as an FBI man trying to come back from a nervous breakdown. Actor George Hillman plays the role of "ukulele player" and does a great job of it in a single scene, about 20 minutes in. He plucks out a great tune that I would love to play but have no idea what it is.

Buster Keaton apparently DID actually play though. I've seen a clip from some movie (I have no idea what it is), where he, Cliff Edwards and some other guy are in WWI uniforms. Keaton is fingering the chords on a Martin Taropatch, while Edwards drums on the strings with drumsticks and does one of his mouth-trumpet things, and the third guy is plucking a rifle like an upright bass while he sings a bass line.

I recently picked up a book about Harold LLoyd and there is a picture of an informal band that a group of actors put together, and there's Buster Keaton sitting in the front with a banjo uke on his lap.

Top Bottom