Ukuleles in Movies

tozan

Reaction score
Adam Sandlers's "50 First Dates".
Just watched it on dvd.
On the cover they show a 4 string ukulele but in the movie he plays a 6 string.
I think you have to go the special features to actually see that it is a Kamaka.
How's that for "ukulele obsessed".
Any other sightings or soundings from Hollywood?

[hijacking]
in the movie the day lucy lost her memory is my birthday, october 13th.the guy on the jet ski in the beginning is my dad's friend, adam sandler wore a matsumoto's shave ice shirt, and the scene with the dock was shot less than a mile from my house. the scenes w/ the boat were shot in practically my backyard; kaneohe bay, adam sandler worked at sea life park, a real "oceanarium" here. i loved this movie because (to me) it most accurately portrayed hawaii for what it is as i have come to know it.
[/hijacking]

In "Shallow Hal", Leeboy? idk his name, but the big guy plays a uke in one of the scenes when Hal goes looking for Rosemary.

Oh and Lilo and Stitch haha yay animated ukes. xP

Adam Sandlers's "50 First Dates".
Just watched it on dvd.
On the cover they show a 4 string ukulele but in the movie he plays a 6 string.
I think you have to go the special features to actually see that it is a Kamaka.
How's that for "ukulele obsessed".
Any other sightings or soundings from Hollywood?

You're dead right. He's playing a custom 6 six string Kamaka uke. The uke on the front cover is the same 6 string but they edited it to look like a 4 string for some reason. Maybe because people wouldn't have a clue about what a 6 string ukulele was.

Last edited:
I can't believe nobody has yet mentioned "The Jerk" with Steve Martin on uke and Bernadette Peters on brass playing "Tonight You Belong To Me" -- this was one of the first songs I learned.

have fun!

in the movie "a league of their own" one of the ball players is playing a soprano. I dont think the word "ukulele" is spoken.

What? No one mentioned Steve Martin playing "Tonight You Belong To Me" in the movie "The Jerk"? One of my all-time favorites. :D

(Yea, I think Lyle Ritz actually played it...)

What? No one mentioned Steve Martin playing "Tonight You Belong To Me" in the movie "The Jerk"? One of my all-time favorites. :D

(Yea, I think Lyle Ritz actually played it...)

Actually... someone did. :p

I can't believe nobody has yet mentioned "The Jerk" with Steve Martin on uke and Bernadette Peters on brass playing "Tonight You Belong To Me" -- this was one of the first songs I learned.

have fun!

There was a movie a quite a few years ago about Ma Barker, and her gang. I think Theressa Russell was in it. There was a scene where one of the boys had a ukulele, but never did play it.

Marilyn Monroe playing ukulele in the classic movie Some Like it Hot!

it's not a movie but spongebob squarepants plays one in the Camping episode and sings his original "Campfire Song Song"! One of the greatest episodes ever!

it's not a movie but spongebob squarepants plays one in the Camping episode and sings his original "Campfire Song Song"! One of the greatest episodes ever!

Ha! I thought the same thing as I read it -- It IS one of their greatest episodes!!

Last episode of Life on Mars, we see things concluding for Sam to the tune of Iz's Over the Rainbow. The choice of that song may be a giveaway as to what happens.

Also there was a preview for some movie on tv that played a cover of that. Some lesser uke player on a lesser uke. Actually the quality of the uke sounds ok, the effects on it over done. Yes, effects. On this song of all songs. I love using effects, but that just ... ugh. And the strumming technique isn't so good but at least the guy's voice sounds crap.

I'm glad the preview wasn't long.

Top Bottom