Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ukuleles in Movies

Hippie Dribble Guest

In the happy days double episode "The Graduation" where the Fonz is taking night-school classes, Big Al plays a ukulele up front with the band at the Graduation ceremony...

looks like a tenor but near impossible to tell what brand...

Buster Keaton plays a Jazz Age college kid with a uke at the beginning of "Steamboat Bill, Jr" (1928). He doesn't play it, and it gets stomped on by his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich T View Post
    Buster Keaton plays a Jazz Age college kid with a uke at the beginning of "Steamboat Bill, Jr" (1928). He doesn't play it, and it gets stomped on by his dad.
    Keaton also has a uke in the film "College". He eventually falls on it and smashes it. I'm sensing a theme here...

Buster Keaton apparently DID actually play though. I've seen a clip from some movie (I have no idea what it is), where he, Cliff Edwards and some other guy are in WWI uniforms. Keaton is fingering the chords on a Martin Taropatch, while Edwards drums on the strings with drumsticks and does one of his mouth-trumpet things, and the third guy is plucking a rifle like an upright bass while he sings a bass line.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

I watched "Some Like It Hot" again last night. The ukulele Marilyn Monroe is playing is a Martin Style 3... Painted WHITE!!! Yikes!
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

Millions of ukuleles were sold during the decade, and Tin Pan Alley ... His film company Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer hired Edwards to appear in early sound movies. ...

'Mister Roberts' was on the other day... a trio of sailors were on deck singing "The Yellow Stain Blues" while one played a uke, maybe a Harmony?
    I almost plotzed!
    cletus

"The Giant Gila Monster" - 1959

The hero, Chase (Don Sullivan), plays the banjo uke and sings for a couple (frankly horrible) musical numbers. Best to watch the MST3K version, to preserve your sanity.
    * Mom-Painted Flea * Half-Vintage, Half-Bean Sprout banjolele * Woody's Roundup Toy "Guitar" *

Last Embrace

circa 1979. Starring Roy Scheider as an FBI man trying to come back from a nervous breakdown. Actor George Hillman plays the role of "ukulele player" and does a great job of it in a single scene, about 20 minutes in. He plucks out a great tune that I would love to play but have no idea what it is.
    Harold O.

www.HOPublishing.com
    www.WestHillsWood.com
    Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tarman View Post
    Buster Keaton apparently DID actually play though. I've seen a clip from some movie (I have no idea what it is), where he, Cliff Edwards and some other guy are in WWI uniforms. Keaton is fingering the chords on a Martin Taropatch, while Edwards drums on the strings with drumsticks and does one of his mouth-trumpet things, and the third guy is plucking a rifle like an upright bass while he sings a bass line.
    I recently picked up a book about Harold LLoyd and there is a picture of an informal band that a group of actors put together, and there's Buster Keaton sitting in the front with a banjo uke on his lap.

Thread Information