Ukuleles in Movies

The Wings Of Eagles 1957. A True Story, and a very good film.

John Wayne plays Aviator, Capt Frank Wead who eventually became a Hollywood screen writer.
While on shore leave in Hawaii he accidentally falls down stairs and breaks his neck, and told he will never walk again because his legs are permanently paralysed.

In hospital he is visited every day by his colleague, played by Dan Daily, who brings with him a Ukulele which he plays to John Wayne making songs up as he goes and making Wayne sing them as well - like “I’m gonna move that toe”, then “I’m gonna move that leg”.

This was the first time I had seen a Ukulele because this was shown on tv in the 60’s when I was a boy. I saw it again recently and its still a good movie.

On House this week a uke made an appearance. I couldn't tell what kind it was tho.

I'm just watching Monty Python's Sense of Life and there's a scene in a medieval dungeon with Hawaiian food and music. They play a bass, a guitar and a Uke:music:

Uh.. i think there was one shown in the Pixar movie UP, i recall it being located ontop of the mantle in the beginning . . . at least, i *thought it was one when i saw it. Spent the rest of the movie thinking "Wooaaahh; ukulele?! sa-weeet "

Sandler must be a true uke enthusiast. He also plays one throughout Mixed Nuts.

Not a movie, but they've made a few appearances on The Simpsons, my favourite is the episode where Krusty meets his daughter and loses her violin to the mob, and tries to replace it with a ukulele

"it's the thinking man's violin!" :biglaugh:

Uh.. i think there was one shown in the Pixar movie UP, i recall it being located ontop of the mantle in the beginning . . . at least, i *thought it was one when i saw it. Spent the rest of the movie thinking "Wooaaahh; ukulele?! sa-weeet "
So I'm not the only person to see the ukulele.

Not a movie, but they've made a few appearances on The Simpsons, my favourite is the episode where Krusty meets his daughter and loses her violin to the mob, and tries to replace it with a ukulele

"it's the thinking man's violin!" :biglaugh:

So that's where that came from...:eek:

It's not a movie, but on "Scrubs" they had ukes a couple times. At the end of the episode "My Way Home," one of the Worthless Peons is playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." And in a couple recent episodes, Ted got a uke-playing girlfriend who did a couple songs.
Her names kate micucci (sp?) she's in a pretty funny group called garfunkel and oates on youtube and some of her songs are on this site.
There's a movie called A Thousand Clowns which is supposed to be about an ukulele playing clown, havent seen it yet but I intend to. As far as Steve Martin playing the uke, he's actually an exceptional banjo player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlqQ1_vZVE

Via Netflix, I've been watching an old (1992) mini-series on Frank Sinatra.

Early on, when the guy playing Frank first meets his future (and future ex) wife, he woos her with a ukulele! In the next scene, you can see that he's brought it to the beach with him, although he doesn't play it. This part would've been set in the mid-to-late 1930s.

Not sure if Sinatra actually did play the uke, but it was still cool to see it.

JJ

Top Bottom