Hello from California :)

naturelover

Reaction score
Hello UU!
I found you guys when searching for an appropriate upgrade ukulele, and it just seems like the place to be!

I've just ordered a Mainland Concert Mahogany Uke from Mike and UkeRepublic, and I can't wait for it to come! I'm upgrading from a Kala KA-S that I got in Hawaii a couple years ago. I don't really have time to practice regularly so I'm still pretty much a beginner, but I guess I've been playing long enough to want a nicer sounding uke :D.

When I'm not playing ukulele, I'm a graduate student at UC Davis studying Immunology. Most days, the ukulele is all that keeps me sane (that and my wonderful husband of course!). Thank goodness for music!

I'm so happy to be joining this community!

Hello and welcome to UU! Music is what keeps me sane and going most days too. This is a great community and you will learn a lot here.

Aloha Narurelover,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and our ukulele..congrats on your new mainland ..have fun and enjoy....Wow you're studing Immunology, can you help me with my UAS(ukulele Aquisition Syndrome) from the bite of of deadly
ukulele flea?? ha ha...Google Musicteacher2010 and Keonepax for some awesome ukulele tutorial videos and dr Uke for songs, chords, and instructions...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Last edited:
Welcome, from Alhambra, CA

Hello from across the causeway in Sacramento.

Hey thanks for pointing me to those lessons, that'll definitely help me improve :)

As for UAS, I think the chances for a cure are very slim...we're all too late to avoid the ukulele flea (obviously!) and once you have it, there's no going back! Would anyone really want to be cured of UAS anyways?

My actual research is focused on Multiple Sclerosis, but my parents have informed me that my next task is to cure aging (and I'd better hurry up!) and cancer and the common cold, so I'll add UAS to the bottom of my list and get to it when I have time :p

As for me, I've avoided UAS so far (the ukulele flea that bit me must not have carried that particular disease). My skills are not yet worthy of the Mainland that's on its way to me now, and I think I'll probably be quite happy with that one for the rest of my life :) Good luck with yours though! I've heard that the best way to treat UAS is to research, lust after, and then aquire one fancy ukulele at a time to quell the symptoms for a little while between purchases :p

Happy strumming! ~naturelover

Hello from across the causeway in Sacramento.

Hey, good to know there are other local uke lovers! Do you know of any groups that meet up or go to open mic nights or anything? I'd love to meet up and play and learn with some other players.

~naturelover

Hey thanks for pointing me to those lessons, that'll definitely help me improve :)

As for UAS, I think the chances for a cure are very slim...we're all too late to avoid the ukulele flea (obviously!) and once you have it, there's no going back! Would anyone really want to be cured of UAS anyways?

My actual research is focused on Multiple Sclerosis, but my parents have informed me that my next task is to cure aging (and I'd better hurry up!) and cancer and the common cold, so I'll add UAS to the bottom of my list and get to it when I have time :p

As for me, I've avoided UAS so far (the ukulele flea that bit me must not have carried that particular disease). My skills are not yet worthy of the Mainland that's on its way to me now, and I think I'll probably be quite happy with that one for the rest of my life :) Good luck with yours though! I've heard that the best way to treat UAS is to research, lust after, and then aquire one fancy ukulele at a time to quell the symptoms for a little while between purchases :p

Happy strumming! ~naturelover

Aloha Nature Lover,
Congratulations on the new Mainland coming your way...Happy Strummings!! MM Stan

Hi fellow grad student, I feel your pain. You're going to love the Mainland Uke. Did you go for gloss or stain?

It's gloss with the silver geared tuners and black tuning pegs :) I can't wait!!! Delivery status says 'out for delivery'!

Hi - I bet you're exciting about your Mainland heading your way. Sounds like it'll be a looker! I bought a concert, sight-unseen, and I was so excited opening the box. It was like Christmas.

I just purchased a Kala soprano for my daughter, who's about to start pre-vet this fall. Same premise as what you've described. Sometimes sitting down and picking out a tune is great therapy for an over-engaged mind. Gets that right side of the brain engaged and lets the left side take a little vacay.

Enjoy the new uke and welcome to UU - it's a great community here!

Hi - I bet you're exciting about your Mainland heading your way. Sounds like it'll be a looker! I bought a concert, sight-unseen, and I was so excited opening the box. It was like Christmas.

I just purchased a Kala soprano for my daughter, who's about to start pre-vet this fall. Same premise as what you've described. Sometimes sitting down and picking out a tune is great therapy for an over-engaged mind. Gets that right side of the brain engaged and lets the left side take a little vacay.

Enjoy the new uke and welcome to UU - it's a great community here!

Hey thanks for the welcome! This is an awesome community, and I've already learned so much here. I'm so happy to have found it! Tell her congrats on the pre-vet, those are not easy programs to get into, and they're tough to stick through but I think ballancing work and some play makes it easier. I find the uke helps a ton, especially when I'm studying for exams. I try to study for about an hour and then take a 10 minute uke break to let all the info settle in before I try to add more. It seems to be working out well so far :)

I'm pretty much positive that I'm going to love the Mainland, I will try to figure out how to post a video when I get home!

~naturelover

Top Bottom