Multiple Questions re: Not-for-Profit Kids' Ukulele Project

Maiyah888

Reaction score
about 8 every 6 months.

Hi all!

I've been working at a kids' center for about 5 years doing drum circles for leadership, team-building, anger management, musical education and self-expression/song-writing/poetry creation.

We're in a disadvantaged neighborhood with all the attendant struggles: gang activity, high crime rate, lots of teen pregnancy, etc.

In March the kids asked for ukulele lessons and we just finished our first 5 week session at the end of which they performed one of the great 4 chord songs "No One" by Alicia Keys before a crowd of over 100 kids, parents and community members, many of whom sang along!

We're hoping to continue and expand the program so that each kid can work toward earning an ukulele by completing 3 sessions successfully (thus finishing the first Ukulele in the Classroom book).

I work with 6 - 10 kids per session and expect 30% success rate (high turnover population due to military community and other factors).

My questions are:

1) does anyone else run a kids' program and if so what advice do you have for me? I've been using Play Ukulele Today and Ukulele in the Classroom Book 1. by Hill and Doane and am going to the Training in Toronto August 18 and 19! Woo hoo!

2) as MGM has closed his store, and the Dolphin Makalas' QC seems to be slipping, which ukulele models and/or vendors do you suggest? I've also gotten great instruments, set up and service from Uke Republic.

3) any suggestions from others who run not-for-profits about grant writing, grant sources, fund raisers, in kind donations etc?

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance!

Maiyah
www.hamptonroadsukulelegroup.com

Top Bottom