Need help pricing Gibson Baritone to sell.

strumsilly

Reaction score
My boat motor quit, have plenty of ukes but only had one motor, so thinking of selling this '63 Gibson Baritone. I guess they are somewhat scarce, seen 2 on ebay, but don't think the prices are realistic, this one has been on forever.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190425333720&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Mine has extensive finish checking, but only one small crack and a few deep dings on the heel.the crack is about 2 inches long and stable, it is under the heel block and may not even go all the way through. other than the bridge lifting up on the corners, because the top is bowed up beyond bridge, and the mismatched peg, it's in good shape. the one on ebay seems to have the same bridge/top problem, so maybe this is typical, anyone know?

I had it strung up with Southcoast linear and it sounded and played great. Took the strings off to clean it and the c string is too short to go back on so I'll have to look around for other strings.

Anyway looking for advice on how to price it. There was one other on ebay for BIN $999, don't know if it sold. that still seems high. just looking for a fair price, good for me and the buyer. comes with newer HSC.

more picts:

http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb376/avm1/gibson bari/

gib003.jpg

I am thinking $500 or so maybe? Might be more, I don't think I ever seen a Gibson baritone so I might be grossly off. Check Elderly.com, they do allot of dealing with vintage and rare guitars and ukes..

I am thinking $500 or so maybe? Might be more, I don't think I ever seen a Gibson baritone so I might be grossly off. Check Elderly.com, they do allot of dealing with vintage and rare guitars and ukes..

thanks, they have one on there, but for price it has no longer available.

thanks, they have one on there, but for price it has no longer available.

Give them a call. They are good people, and I bet they would tell ya what it sold for...

Keep in mind that their sell price of vintage instruments are a little higher than private sale though..

I think it's worth 600.00-900.00. Elderly had a couple at 1100.00, but they were mint. If it sounds as good as my gibson tenor did, it should be in high demand.

Then that sounds about right then. Elderly or any brick and morter will be some higher than private sale, so you might be pretty close with the $600-$800 or so.

I think it's worth 600.00-900.00. Elderly had a couple at 1100.00, but they were mint. If it sounds as good as my gibson tenor did, it should be in high demand.

thanks, I used to have a Gibson tenor too. I think I sold it for $600. this bari sounds great. I'll probably be sorry once I sell it , but I mostly play my concert.

Wow it is beautiful...I am drooling....:drool: got to hold back on this one...wow and I love baritones too...

I think the quotes you are getting are in a good range. If you want to sell it fast, ask $650.00; I think someone would pay that much very quickly.

More important question...and in the interest of keeping the Gibby for yourself- what motor is the boat motor and what happened to it? They are simple beasts.

thanks for all your help. will put it in the middle of 6-9, $750 + $25 shipping conus. pm me for shipping quote anywhere else. will repost with more pictures.
the only other thing I didn't mention is the 3rd string nut slot has been filed a bit wide,when I put the scoast linear strings on it,it moved around so I put some tape under it, would be an easy fix, some glue and dust.

Last edited:
Top Bottom