The weight of your Ukulele?

amute

Reaction score
Hello I am hoping that some UU members with nice higher end Tenor Ukulele's could tell me the weight of there ukes.
I'm working with a friend and we're building a tenor uke, cutting down on the bracing and trying out different options has left us wondering what a Kamaka, Pono or Kanile'a might weight. I don't really have anyone around me with a good quality Ukulele for me to weight so y'all are my only hope.

I thank you in advance for your help and time.
( I believe my two ukes come from the same place over seas and all signs tell me they're very close to the same)

My Mainland with strap buttons and Mi-si system weights: 661 grams
My Bushman: 609 grams (2 strap buttons no pick-up)

p.s.One strap button: 6.3 grams

I'm curious too. I hope you get a lot of responses. My Kala acacia tenor weighs in at 687 grams. As far as the tenors I build, the bodies before finish come in at between 240 and 250 grams. Finished and strung up the last couple came in at 585 to 615 grams. The nitro finish on the last ones was WAY too thick and I believe I can shave 30 to 50 grams with a better finish scheme.

I'm curious too. I hope you get a lot of responses. My Kala acacia tenor weighs in at 687 grams. As far as the tenors I build, the bodies before finish come in at between 240 and 250 grams. Finished and strung up the last couple came in at 585 to 615 grams. The nitro finish on the last ones was WAY too thick and I believe I can shave 30 to 50 grams with a better finish scheme.

Hey Two Dogs I would love to see some pics of your latest builds

Thank you for the info and yes I too hope folks are able to post the weights of there Ukuleles. I asked Jake Shimabukuro in Sacramento on 3/27/2011 but he just smiled and very nicely said "Ohhhh I'm not sure" he does have a Fishman pick-up with a 9volt in it so it'd be a little different. I'd love to find out what Aldrine's weights or ANY higher end Ukulele would be great. PLEASE help us out if you can, thank y'all! -cheers

I've just recently completed a tenor... 520 gram fully dressed with peghed tuners and undersaddle pickup with endpin jack.

I've just recently completed a tenor... 520 gram fully dressed with peghed tuners and undersaddle pickup with endpin jack.

Nice! What material? Mine BTW were koa, and, Tattwo, you've already seen 'em. Haven't had much shop time at all yet this year. Got some ready to go when I can.

So here are all the ukes in the house! (four are my daughters) Only real surprises to me are how relatively heavy the Dolphins are & the differences between them! Who knew that Yellow paint was heavier than Purple?!

Ukulele relative weights

Scale Length-Brand-Model-Construction-Weight/Grams

Soprano-Makala-Dolphin (Yellow)-ABS/Laminate 459
Soprano-Makala-Dolphin (Purple)-ABS/Laminate 433
Soprano-Makala-Dolphin (Pink)-ABS/Laminate 468
Soprano-Mainland-Chili! -ABS/Laminate 433
Soprano-Mainland-Honeybee-Mahogany 396
Soprano-Lanikai-LU-21 - Lam/Mahogany 360
Soprano-Gstring-M1 Longneck-Koa-366
Soprano-Vintage-No-name 30's-Mahogany-300
Soprano-Vintage-Camp Uke - Birch?-303
Soprano-Martin-20's Style O-Mahogany 260
Soprano-Martin-50's Style O-Mahogany 283
Soprano-Kamaka-Keiki 70's-Mahogany-343
Soprano-Sailor-SPC-S-Cherry/Spruce-393
Soprano-KoAloha-Pikake-Koa-355

Tenor-KoAloha-Super Concert-Koa-568
Tenor-LoPrinzi-Model A-Mahogany-556
Tenor-Fender-No'hea-Lam/Koa-662

GUITAR-Fender-Newporter-Lam/Mahogany-2195

Here are the specs for the ones I have at hand right now.

No-name Martin style soprano, mahogany, 400 g
Brueko concert, cherry/bubinga/mahogany, 530 g
Concert pineapple, cedar/rosewood/pau amarello, 570 g

I weighed several ukes on a postal scale and listed the weights here:
www.ianchadwick.com/ukuleles/sizes.htm
Should add a few, since that was done about 1-2 years back... the baritone BU is quite heavy...

Kiwaya KTS-4- 275g/9.7 oz
Glyph Mahogany Tenor- 450g/15.8 oz

Thank you guys for taking the time to post your info. Cheers!
Still looking for a HIGH Dollar Ukulele weight. Keeping my fingers crossed on the fret board. X)

Thank you guys for taking the time to post your info. Cheers!
Still looking for a HIGH Dollar Ukulele weight. Keeping my fingers crossed on the fret board. X)

I thought these 3 of mine were in that category, though certainly not Mya-Moe or custom Moore Bettah territory.

Soprano-KoAloha-Pikake-Koa-355
Tenor-KoAloha-Super Concert-Koa-568
Tenor-LoPrinzi-Model A-Mahogany-556

Last edited:
My Pallet tenor..weighs in at 591g including screws and nails.

Last edited:
Grrr..had a longer post,wouldn't accept it, and it lost it refreshing..anyway...
I'm assuming he means mor famous ukes of the past and not being offensive to all the modern builders/brands out there..
I offer these two for weights:
60s-70s barebones(no frills)koa Kamaka soprano=305grams
53 Gibson mahogany TU-1 tenor(no frills,but a small rosette)=510 grams
Both with friction tuners
If you are weighing some with geared tuners,you may want to mention that..There is quite a bit of weight increase with those..weighing my own.I use geared tuners on the concerts and tenors,friction ones on the sopranos.

Top Bottom