The weight of your Ukulele?

I feel like I’m missing something here. I can understand for the lightweight hammock camper the importance of weight, but as far as quality of an instrument goes, there are so many factors that weight cannot predict quality. The marginal differences in weight gained by thinning bracing or soundboards, which will impact the instruments quality will be masked by the differences in density of the hardwoods used for neck, back, sides, fret board etc… the differences in density of the rest of the uke will vary by much larger numbers than the differences achieved by shaving the soundboard or braces, especially with soundboards of spruce or other light wood which has a low density to begin with.
I’m a beginner with all of this, but I have two necks I’m working on. Walnut 189g, purpleheart 433g, soundboard w/bracing 48g. the necks are not finished and have a bit of shaping to be done, are not identical, the purple heart one is about an inch longer and has a little more mass around the heel but the difference in density is obvious. I believe that differences in the soundboard will be far more important and will be totally masked by the weights of the other parts.

finally someone says it

I have said before that the best sounding, most resonant instruments that I have owned and played were the lightest. Not being a luthier or acoustician I don't really know why, but it has been noticeable.

It's a pretty simple equation: More mass means more energy absorption and less transmission (sound). Less mass means less absorption and more transmission (sound). However, very low mass might mean increased volume and less sustain making the instrument sound "tinny"as a larger mass releases its energy slower and gives less volume and more sustain. It is not an either/or proposition but a blending of the two. That is why making a great uke is a series of trade-offs. also why it is an art.

Yes I agree. Certainly there is a balancing act. If the top is too thin and light you risk having it collapse and there is probably a point where it cannot really resonate or sustain well. Over the years I have heard stories of some great sounding instruments whose top developed a slight belly. It really is an art.

Top Bottom