Flea Concert + D'addario strings

Ukeguy510

Reaction score
Well, got bored and decided to restring my Flea concert (with polycarb fretboard) with the new J53 strings. Any one else with this combo? How do you like it? My strings are starting to settle, so far:

Pros:
*Thicker strings when compared to my old Worth clear strings; a little easier to fret
*Black nylon matches my Lava Flea quite nicely
*Volume and sustain are good; strings are great for picking
*Inexpensive

Cons:
*Strings take a while to settle
*Finger noise is apparent but tolerable; the stock Hilo strings were far worse
*Not as bright as the Worth clear strings

I like these strings though. ;)

I just ordered a set of Pro Arte strings from my local music store, but didn't tell the clerk if I wanted J54 or J71. So it'll be a surprise. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I'll find out when they arrive...

There is a big difference between the J54's and the J71's, the 54's have wound strings the 71's don't, the gauges are different and the 71' feel read "hard" I have those (71's) on my Kala Mahogany Tenor (they make it sound VERY bright). If I am not mistaken the Pro Arte's will be the J-71's.

I have a set of the 53's on one of my KA-Soprano's and a set of 65's on the other and I like them both, they do sound/feel different. I think the 65's give it more of an oldtimey sound, Its the one I use when I am playin those Woody Guthrie songs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom