Song Help Request Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - So long and thanks for all the fish

NaturalBornCamper

Reaction score
Hay!

I started tabbing the jazzy version of the song
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NzQW7_flK0 )
and after an hour I have two chords and they don't feel right at all..:confused:

Anyway, does anyone have time enough to tab that song? It shouldn't be too hard as the song repeats itself over and over with different lyrics, but I just can't do it. How do you even learn to tab a song? I would very much like to learn instead of asking all the time for help.

Thanks all!

Marco

Two wrong chords is better than no chords! Try and isolate a certain key by finding what scale sounds right. Once you get there you can try and work off the chords that fit in that key. This should help: http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/Tutorials/1four5/music-theory/key-chord-chart/key-chord-chart.html. It sounds simple at first but then it seems there is a key change. If you are still really new to figuring out songs I would maybe try and work out another favorite just so you don't get discouraged.

Practice, practice. It takes forever at first. But it gets easier. Kudos for working at it for an hour before coming here to ask. You learned a lot more from that hour than you would have if you came here and got the tab right away.

Good luck!

OOOh! Please continue on! I love that song. I sometimes play the first verse, but that's about all I know...or have made up rather. C, Dm, C, Dm, C, F#m6, Em, (G7)...etc.
:love: :nana:

Thanks Hippie guy! Keys do make sense, as almost all the songs I play use the chords in the key of C. I think I will start with that key.

Sorry ukulelezo, it won't be until a while, a long while since it will be my first song.

Seya!

Marco

Just so you don't get confused. Or maybe I'm just reading you wrong:

When figuring out a song, you don't get to choose the key. It's already be chosen by whoever recorded the song. That means it can be any one of 12 keys. So when I say "isolate" the key, I mean figure out what key the song is in. So if for instance you play a C scale over your song and it sounds wrong, try a different scale (you will start to learn what scales are related and eventually it will take you one or two scales to figure out the key. Beyond that you just hear what notes are wrong and don't even need the scale). Keep trying and eliminating scales until you find one that sounds right. Then proceed to use the EZ folk chart.

Hay!

Haha don't worry I perfectly understood and I meant to start with the key of C because I heard it was the most common one and I know all the chords that I saw in that scale. However, it does look like there are missing chords since a lot of songs I know use the chords in the C scale plus other chords that are not there.

Woah thanks!!

I'm glad somebody else made it now that I see how hard it is and how far I was from getting the real thing! I didn't have any of the chords right and I didn't even notice some of the chord changes haha! I am definitely a better player than tabber.

Top Bottom