Does anyone have a Sonny D?

I stopped by his shop over the last 2 months or so. Also ran into him at Ukulele Legends in Concert where we both went up to talk to Eddie Kamae. I haven't talked to him about a custom, but he produces his instrument in batches. Best to call to see what he's working on or has available in the shop.

Why not give him a call . . . contact info can be found on the 808 Builders List.

I've seen some of Sonny's work and the are excellent looking.

I've been jammin' on my Sonny D tenor 6 string since 1995 and absolutely love it! I'm looking for a new concert size 4 string and spoke with aunty at the Waipahu shop today trying to set up something. I'm thinking about having one shipped out here to Oregon where I now reside. I used to live 10 minutes from Sonny's shop in Waipahu. Sonny makes top notch ukes!!

I have a Sonny D 6 string Ukulele. I bought at Pop's pawn shop in Waipahu, HI about 10 years ago. It plays and sounds great, especially when you want to pick and play flamenco music, etc.

I have 5 Ukulele's and only can play one at a time. I will sell my Sonny D 6 string Ukulele, if the price is right. It's made out of Koa wood, etc.

Sonny D

I have a Sonny D concert and love it. Is the tenor for sale/

I had a Sunny D this morning. meh.

Nice Sonny D baritone

Didn't want to start a new thread. Just been playing a nice Sonny D baritone for a few days. It's used from the estate of a musician. This is the first Sonny D uke I have played. My experience with this one is good. This has a rich warm, clear tone, different from other baritones in a good way. The workmanship is overall nice, but a few small builder misses. The important things (sound, intonation, action feel, play-ability, looks) are all right on the mark.

Here's a pic and a sound sample.
https://app.box.com/s/gtk1fs51fzsl551vx9ef5ondsb5bv44o

P1090249.jpg
P1090248.jpg
P1090255.jpg
P1090250.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom