Fretboard Thickness?

glasalle

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am building my first Ukulele (working on several acoustic guitars as well), and have made the fretboard for my tenor (Madagascar RW with Aussie Curly blackwood binding). It is currently ~ .250 in thick. For a guitar, this would work, but what thickness do you guys make your fingerboards for a tenor?

Thanks!

Glenn

Mine are from 3 mm for a soprano to something right around 4 mm on a tenor. If the fret board has a radius on it then they are 4.5 mm in the middle and I use a 12" radius on them. Puts the fret board edge just a hair under 4mm at the sound board end.

Picking up on this older thread, I wonder if you do the final thicknessing once the fret slots are cut in, or...

I am at seven sixteenths of an inch.

And the other question I have is how deep do you cut those fret slots? Again, this is a tenor ukulele. I have decided to use bird's-eye maple for the fretboard. I am also going to have to make a decision about fret wire --something about which I know nothing. Maybe there's a thread that addresses all of this stuff?

Picking up on this older thread, I wonder if you do the final thicknessing once the fret slots are cut in, or...

I am at seven sixteenths of an inch.

And the other question I have is how deep do you cut those fret slots? Again, this is a tenor ukulele. I have decided to use bird's-eye maple for the fretboard. I am also going to have to make a decision about fret wire --something about which I know nothing. Maybe there's a thread that addresses all of this stuff?
Same depth as the fret tang plus a gnats cock :)

Thanks! :)

I think for this one, I'll go with 3/16", as that's what the LMI plan shows. But what others are doing, what they know that I've yet to get... That's good stuff!

Top Bottom