Worth CL's Versus Worth CM's

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I have Worth CL's on my Martin Style 1 and it seems most people are using the CM's. Does anyone know what the difference is in sound and string tension ? What are the advantages of the CM's over the CL's ?
Thanks.

I believe the theory is that higher tension = louder sound. Many professional performers tend to go for the higher tension strings because they sound better... louder and fuller. I haven't tried Worth CL yet, they seem to be harder to find. I like the CM just fine though. I would only switch to Light if I found the Mediums too hard on my fingers.

–Lori

The C and E strings are identical in the CM, CL, and CT sets. The A and G strings are each the next diameter down (of Seaguar leader equivalents, anyway) in the CL set (vs. the CM set). The only reason I can see to switch from CM to CL would be if you were trying to tweak the intonation up the neck. If your outside strings are a bit flat compared to the inside strings (at the 12th fret) going to lighter strings may lower the tension and bring them closer to matching the inside strings. However, you can also expect the sound to be a little less bright (the lighter gages on your high strings are not going to move the top as much).

I prefer to compensate the top of the bridge - then my "modified CM set" intonates very well. (This is basically equivalent to a CM set but with a slightly lighter E string.)

John

Oldefart , I don't think my ears have the bandwidth to notice the differences in sound you are talking about.
I think I will try the Worth CM's next time , I would like a fuller sound . Thanks everyone.

I use the lights on some of my vintage ukes just for the lower tension, my 20's Kumalae in particular had rather pronounced "potato chipping" on the soundboard and the lights seem to keep it to a minimum

Oldefart , I don't think my ears have the bandwidth to notice the differences in sound you are talking about.
I think I will try the Worth CM's next time , I would like a fuller sound . Thanks everyone.

Actually, you might surprise yourself. Changing a string type or gage can affect intonation at the 12th fret by 35 cents (probably more, but I recently saw this on one of my ukes). While some might not notice even that much difference consciously (as in, being able to tune by ear) I suspect that anybody who has enough pitch sense to want to make music will probably notice it subconsciously (as in, gee, that ukes sounds sweeter than this one).

John

I use the lights on some of my vintage ukes just for the lower tension, my 20's Kumalae in particular had rather pronounced "potato chipping" on the soundboard and the lights seem to keep it to a minimum

Okay, you got me, that's an expression I haven't seen before - what do you mean by "potato chipping?"

Thanks,
John

The C and E strings are identical in the CM, CL, and CT sets. The A and G strings are each the next diameter down (of Seaguar leader equivalents, anyway) in the CL set (vs. the CM set). The only reason I can see to switch from CM to CL would be if you were trying to tweak the intonation up the neck. If your outside strings are a bit flat compared to the inside strings (at the 12th fret) going to lighter strings may lower the tension and bring them closer to matching the inside strings. However, you can also expect the sound to be a little less bright (the lighter gages on your high strings are not going to move the top as much).

I prefer to compensate the top of the bridge - then my "modified CM set" intonates very well. (This is basically equivalent to a CM set but with a slightly lighter E string.)

John

I'm having this problem with my uke right now--the A and G strings get flat as I go down the neck and are quite flat at the 12th fret. The C and E strings sound perfect at the 12th fret. Strangely, the G string is worse than the A string.

I'd like to try out the worth CL's (i'm using the CM's right now) but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Can you explain what you do to compensate the bridge?

Can you explain what you do to compensate the bridge?

Basically, you file the top of the bridge saddle so the center slants towards the heel and each outside end slants toward the neck. Obviously, you need enough extra height in the action to do this because typically the stock saddle has its high-point near the middle so when you file the top at an angle the string height is going to be lowered some. Both of my KoAlohas and my Kala really needed to be lowered anyway so this wasn't a problem. In the case of my Mainland, the action was perfect so I picked up an extra saddle when I was at UWC this past weekend so I can compensate it.

In your case, if the inside strings are spot on then you're going to want the strings to break over the saddle at about the same point that they currently do, but since you will be filing the outside edges and lowering the strings you'll still need to file the center section to keep the strings at the same height.

BTW, You can pull about ten cents correction by filing the saddle top at an angle. It's not enough to get perfect intonation, but will get you closer. Also, you'll be able to get more correction on a shorter scale than on a longer (assuming that the bride saddles are the same thickness).

You can get more correction with changing string gages. Going from a CM gage string to a CL gage string (A string) on one uke changed intonation by about 30 cents.

John

It might just be my brain playing tricks on me but I think the CL ones are brighter sounding. I've used both on my Pineapple Sunday and the CLs almost sound TOO bright on that uke. It could just be my imagination though.

I've used both Worth CM and CD on a Martin soprano. I feel a noticeable difference in tension, even though the diameters of the strings do not vary. I think Worth must be using a different material composition. The CDs feel harder and sound considerably louder to me. I've changed them back to CMs however because they are not as comfortable to play and the Cms are loud enough. I have also used Martin fluorocarbons stings on the same ukulele. As I recall, all but the C string are thinner in diameter than Worth counterparts. These sound very punchy and bright, although they may not be as loud as the Worths; I think a thinner string produces a punchier, more banjo-like, sound. This may be what you're describing wickedwahine.

Basically, you file the top of the bridge saddle so the center slants towards the heel and each outside end slants toward the neck. Obviously, you need enough extra height in the action to do this because typically the stock saddle has its high-point near the middle so when you file the top at an angle the string height is going to be lowered some. Both of my KoAlohas and my Kala really needed to be lowered anyway so this wasn't a problem. In the case of my Mainland, the action was perfect so I picked up an extra saddle when I was at UWC this past weekend so I can compensate it.

In your case, if the inside strings are spot on then you're going to want the strings to break over the saddle at about the same point that they currently do, but since you will be filing the outside edges and lowering the strings you'll still need to file the center section to keep the strings at the same height.

BTW, You can pull about ten cents correction by filing the saddle top at an angle. It's not enough to get perfect intonation, but will get you closer. Also, you'll be able to get more correction on a shorter scale than on a longer (assuming that the bride saddles are the same thickness).

You can get more correction with changing string gages. Going from a CM gage string to a CL gage string (A string) on one uke changed intonation by about 30 cents.

John

Thanks for that. It makes sense. I just tested each string against an online tuning fork and at the 12 fret the G is off my about 25 cents, the A 15, and the C and E each by about 10 (all flat). For some reason I only really notice the intonation being off in the outside strings when playing though. I think i'll try and get a hold of the CL's first and see what difference that makes. I would need to get a new saddle to compensate for the action being lowered..

Have you had to compensate the saddle with all the ukes you have? I'm surprised higher end ukes wouldn't come with a saddle already compensated like you describe..

Thanks for that. It makes sense. I just tested each string against an online tuning fork and at the 12 fret the G is off my about 25 cents, the A 15, and the C and E each by about 10 (all flat). For some reason I only really notice the intonation being off in the outside strings when playing though. I think i'll try and get a hold of the CL's first and see what difference that makes. I would need to get a new saddle to compensate for the action being lowered..

Have you had to compensate the saddle with all the ukes you have? I'm surprised higher end ukes wouldn't come with a saddle already compensated like you describe..

Both my ukes' saddles are compensated (Pono & Koaloha). I had some intonation problems w/ my Pono and I always thought my 1st (A string) was constantly flat but when I checked w/ tuner, I find out that my 2nd (E string) is sharp. It could be that you are playing the outer strings later in the picking pattern or they are naturally louder. I believe the tuner doesn't lie and in your case, the G & A are the most off so that is why you hear it more.

Of all the ukes I've owned only the Kiwaya KSL-02 longneck soprano came with a compensated bridge saddle. I compensated the saddle on my KoAloha concert. When I bought my longneck KoAloha I swapped bridge saddles between the two so I could return the concert to factory specs since I plan to sell it. I compensated the saddle on my Mainland cedar tenor, the Mainland cedar concert that I converted to a resonator guitar, and on my Kala pocket uke.

It might just be my brain playing tricks on me but I think the CL ones are brighter sounding. I've used both on my Pineapple Sunday and the CLs almost sound TOO bright on that uke. It could just be my imagination though.

You are dead on correct, Staci. At least as far as parent company, Worth, themselves describes it:
http://worthc.to/english/w_strings_yen.html

Top Bottom