Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 8 string

Default New 8 string

The new Kala 8 string arrived yesterday and what a difference it's made to my playing!All the songs I've been struggling with 'cos they didn't sound right,no matter what key I played them in,now sound good.Reckon it's the fuller sound makes the diff.My step-daughter pounced when she came home from school and started dribbling all over it and now she wants one!Any other 8 string players out there?

Nice...congratulations on you 8 stringer. Any pictures to show us?????

Watching the mail for mine to finally arrive. (the same one, Kala 8 string) Did you have any problems tuning it the first time?

No,it was pretty much in tune out of the box,and it holds the tuning quite well.I find it quite fiddly to tune with the strings being so close together,but a long fingernail or a pick would be the answer I reckon.

I got a Lanikai O8-E a while back and love the sound. The tuning does take a little getting used to but after you do it a few times it feels pretty normal.

It finally got here. (Kala 8 string). The strings were loose so it did take some tuning to get them right but it wasn't all that hard to do. Love the sound, so much fuller. I'm not finding strumming that hard but I do have to pay attention to the cording and make sure I press down all the strings. I'm happy.

Manalishi Guest

I have a Lanikai 8 string,but I was (forgive the
    expression!) a 12 string guitarist for over 20
    years before that!
    So it feels completely natural to me,and compared
    to the 12 string,very easy to play!

I too have a Lanikai O8-E, and it's not just my default uke, it's my default instrument. Someday, I'll feel worthy of a better one, but for now it sounds nice, stays in tune well, and I don't have to handle it with kid gloves. (I tend to be hard on my instruments, and often play the Lanikai with a guitar pick, because I usually play with anywhere from 4-15 acoustic guitarists.)

For those of you new to the 8-string, stock up on classical guitar wound D strings, because your wound low G will wear out much faster than your other strings.

I play my dad's once in awhile. I love that it sounds like more than two ukes in one, but i find it too be too much of a workout. I guess I should play it more to get to be a stronger player. My fingers anyway!
    Ukes at present: Black Bear pineapple soprano, Harmony 1920s taropatch (my dad's,) mystery soprano with wooden frets, Kamaka 1962 soprano, Ohana mahogany cutaway concert, Kala tenor hog, tenor gourdulele.

Manalishi Guest

Fil,I got round that problem by using Aquila strings.
    When I need a new Low G I just slap an Aquila Tenor
    C string on! This has been discussed before,so don't
    worry,I have been told often that it does not work.
    Well ya boo,cos it does!!!!

Thread Information