Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Hold a Uke

Default How to Hold a Uke

Hi all,

I have a tenor sized uke and I know this may seem like a very strange question, but what is the proper way to sit and hold the uke? When I play, I find the uke slipping all over the place.

Aloha UNU,
    Welcome to the UU and our forums and the ukulele...I like to rest the bottom right bout of the ukulele on my right lap and hold the neck at a 2 o'clock position....but whatever is comfortable
    for you...here is a video....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0piM1L3a9Rc have fun and enjoy..Happy strummings, MM Stan

There really is no 'right' way to hold a uke.
    Just do whatever feels right to you.

When I got my first ukulele (a tenor) about 3 months ago, I loved it immediately, but I struggled to find a good way to hold it. I finally bought a Uke Leash (you can google it). Everybody is different, but the Uke Leash completely solved all my "holding issues," and my only regret is that I waited so long before I got one.

You might look on YouTube for instructions on how to hold a classical guitar. It's a very functional position and you need a little footstool or something to put one foot on, but once you feel what a really super functional and proper position feels like you can go from there. You *can* hold a uke in that style and it won't slip around much.

But once you've learned that position, well, we don't give recitals in concert halls so much as play and sing around camp fires etc. You can save yourself a lot of work by getting a strap.

For me, I made a strap right away, and yep I drilled a hole in my uke to put a strap button on it.
    I strum a Cordoba 15CM Concert (it has 18 grits) and love it!

+1 on there being no right and wrong way - you need to be comfortable yourself - check out Youtube vids of different people playing to get ideas, but when you find something that works, just make sure it is secure, comfortable, and not slipping.

Some people suggest putting grippy velcro type pads to the back of the instrument (I have never felt the need) or using a strap -(I do that from time to time)

Have a read of - http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/01/u...and-strum.html
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

I just slapped a strap on that sucker - but for when I'm too lazy to pull the strap over my shoulder, I wedge the uke into the inside of my elbow on my right arm, pushing the neck out with my left. That way it's gripped nice and tight, but you don't affect the tone as the back is clear of your body and can vibrate nicely.
    Kamaka 8-String | KoAloha Sceptre Tenor | Compass Rose Flamed-Maple Tenor | Goldtone Tenor Banjolele | Ken Timms Soprano Martin Style-O | Bruko Flat Soprano #6 | Sco Dart Jazzbox Uke | Tiki Surf Flea | Kala Cedar & Acacia Baritone
    Website | Youtube |

Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions! I love how supportive UU is already!

The uke leash is looking like a good buy, and at $3.99 I might as well give it a try! The two o'clock suggestion from mm stan helped me. I was trying to hold the uke more at a 3 o'clock position, which made my wrist more uncomfortable. I also wasn't "wedging" the uke like byjimini said, and that helped too! Good to know that there is no "right" and "wrong" way to hold it as well. I already feel much more comfortable. Thanks again everyone!

One more note--the $3.99 item at ukeleash.com is for a "headstock strap" only. The full Uke Leash, which includes a headstock strap, goes for $14.99. I'm a cheapskate, but for me, it turned out to be money well spent.

I think I have 5 leashes, I just leave each one in the case with the uke. I alkso have a couple extra headstock pieces. I like them that much. One nice thing is you can get a color or material that goes with the uke.

If it's a gloss finish uke I find they are harder for me to hold. Some people use a little "Uke rug" that lays over the thigh and you rest the bottom of the lower bout on that for friction to keep it in place.

Thread Information