Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a name for your uke(s)?

Default Do you have a name for your uke(s)?

I can't get into this habit; I read about BB King and I think it sounds awesome, but I just don't view my ukes as having their own souls etc, well at least not yet. To me they're just beautiful pieces of wood that make a lovely sound.

No guitarist is more wedded to his instrument than the reigning Monarch of the Blues, B.B. King. As the man himself tells it, in 1949 he was playing a ‘Chitlin Circuit’ dancehall in Arkansas when the heater upended and set the building on fire. In his haste to escape the flames, King left his beloved Gibson semi-hollow electric guitar inside.

Mortified at his potential loss, King ran back into the burning building and retrieved it. The next day he learned the fire was started by two men fighting over a woman named Lucille, so he named the guitar ‘Lucille’ to remember those mad moments when he risked his life to save it. He then vowed never again to run into a burning building or fight over women (some will argue these are two separate things, but they don’t understand the blues).

In 1968 King described Lucille with equal parts sacred devotion and dirty passion: “it loves to be petted and played with. There’s also a certain way you hold it, the certain noises it makes, the way it excites me … and Lucille don’t want to play anything but the blues … Lucille is real, when I play her it’s almost like hearing words, and of course, naturally I hear cries.”
    Kamaka 8-String | KoAloha Sceptre Tenor | Compass Rose Flamed-Maple Tenor | Goldtone Tenor Banjolele | Ken Timms Soprano Martin Style-O | Bruko Flat Soprano #6 | Sco Dart Jazzbox Uke | Tiki Surf Flea | Kala Cedar & Acacia Baritone
    Website | Youtube |

Yup, Astrid, Lilo, Rhea, Hoa & Hope are my five, pics in my sig...

A friend told me to name them and I'm easily led
    Astrid/Unknown Brand || Lilo/Ohana SK10S || Rhea/Luna Tattoo Pineapple || Hoa/Koa Pili Koko || Hope/Tanglewood TU1 CE || Kupuna/Eleuke Rosewood 100 Series || Joy/Poiple Flea || Cora/Clearwater Vita

Joey @ 4 Ukulele - My Ukulele Journey Blog || The Rocking Dodars || Bug Books: Joey Paul Online || "Like" me on FaceBook

Very cool indeed.
    Kamaka 8-String | KoAloha Sceptre Tenor | Compass Rose Flamed-Maple Tenor | Goldtone Tenor Banjolele | Ken Timms Soprano Martin Style-O | Bruko Flat Soprano #6 | Sco Dart Jazzbox Uke | Tiki Surf Flea | Kala Cedar & Acacia Baritone
    Website | Youtube |

Mine already had names on their headstock!

Hippie Dribble Guest

nup. no naming ukes for me. I can't anthropomorphise instruments...mine are just known by what they are...Black Bear soprano, Mahalo soprano, Beansprout concert etc...but each to their own! I do love 'em, but not the way I love eugenie...he he

Quote Originally Posted by rem50 View Post
    Mine already had names on their headstock!
    Exactly. Except for the kit built one. I call it, "the one I built".

I have names for my ukes.

My Ohana Tenor is called Luke...as in Luke the Uke
    and my toy soprano is called Tigger.

Don't really think of them as having souls.
    “Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Berthold Auerbach

My ukes: Ohana tenor (mahogany), KeAloha Soprano (toy)

Hippie Dribble Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keyys View Post
    My Ohana Tenor is called Luke...as in Luke the Uke
    Like it Keyys!

I have a pet sheep. His name is Jean Claude Van Lamb (I know, sorry... )

I have some great ideas for names... but can't quiet go there with my ukes. I don't' name cars either. Kind of want to but. Byjimini maybe if we named them that would give them a soul. I think if you played a uke for 20 years the relationship would change and you may actually infuse some soul into the uke. Ummm I think I just gave a beginning argument on why less may be more.
    RoxHum

"Music self-played is happiness self-made"

Sopranos: Donaldson (Myrtle), Kamaka (Koa), 2 Mainland's (Cedar/Rosewood & Mahogany),
    Nahenahe (Mahogany) (Thank you Stan)
    Concert: Mainland Classic Mahogany (low G)
    and one flashy white and gold Titano accordion

I have names for a couple of them. My soprano has a peace dove on the headstock, so I think of it as the Peace Uke. My pineapple concert has the Chinese character for "happiness" on the headstock, so I think of it as the Joy Uke. I am still waiting for a Love Uke to come along.

Unfortunately, and ironically, the Peace Uke exploded yesterday. The bridge came unglued very suddenly and went hurtling violently across the room. I still haven't found the saddle. I am very sad. Perhaps I should try playing the Joy Uke. Ah well.

Thread Information