tuning a tenor DGBE like a baritone

This is a beautiful tuning you guys are talking about here. For sheet music you can use anything with guitar diagrams or chord notation, but still have a deep, rich, ukulele sound.

If you are serious about playing this way, what you should get is an instrument about the size of a Tenor, but with a deeper body. The standard Tenor body is just a bit too cramped for this deep range of notes. It's why so many dropped this tuning and migrated to key of C. [....]

[....] While Tenors are somewhat heavily built, this is an awful lot of string, even for a Tenor. No reason not to give it a whirl, but for the safety of your instrument, loosen the tension when you're not playing.

It sounds like the Ovation tenor I just got would be a good candidate for this tuning; it's a bit larger, and it seems a bit more heavily built than some others I looked at.

Last edited:
I got hold of Guadalupe Custom Strings about getting a low D set for my tenor, but they said that it would be a 5 set minimum order. Aquila only makes a high-d set though, right?

have always enjoyed this tuning.

I tune my tenor re-entrant dGBE, and use Southcoast non-wound heavy gauge strings on it. On my YT channel, there is a version of the old Cliff Edwards hit 'Sunday', where this uke is in use. The sound is quite nice.

I've tried the Tenor high D set and it really works well, but you have to reserve judgement until the strings stretch fully. It probably helps if you use them on a tenor that responds well to that pitch.

Doug

I wanted a tenor with "G" tuning to make playing with some bluegrass friends a little easier.
They play a lot of fiddle tunes in "A", which puts me way up the neck on a "C" tuned uke.
I decided to make my own set of flourocarbons. I used two "C" strings for the "D" (up a step) & the "B" (down a 1/2 step).
I went with a polished wound (no squeaks) for the "G" and an "E" string. I am very happy with the feel and sound.
For those who don't like wound strings I am guessing you can use an unwound low "G", but the polished strings have great attack and sustain.

yah I just hate buying strings for eight bucks with eight bucks shipping lol... but I might sometime if I ever get a big order to Elderly
you and me BOTH . this is a ridiculous practice i refuse to do it . i got one set of Aquila from paid as much for the shipping as the string ,, now there great strings , but not worth the 8 bucks plus 8 bucks more shipping every few months .. its be nice if Aquila would make there strings more easily available

Also every music shop around tells me the same thing " there to hard to get " and not enough people want them . if enough people think Aquila is the greatest ukulele strings ever , then they need to fuss enough so places like guitar center carries there lines

Last edited:
I see this thread has come up again (popular topic!), so I thought I'd mention our brand new Heavy Gauge strings. We had some people using our old Heavy Gauge for this application, though tensions were light. That 2012 formula is now called "Heavy Medium", and we have new Heavy Gauge sets which are a bit stronger.

They give higher tension for reentrant G on a Baritone, and normal, viable tension for the same tuning on a standard Tenor. All plain, with polished wound 3rd, or an option for an all plain set w/ an additonal wound 3rd to try it both ways.

I've read all of the above and I'm still confused. I play my bari about 90% of the time but the tenor sounds better to me on a few songs. Trouble is, with my one track mind, I find myself hesitating on some chord changes on the (linear Gcea) tenor. I'd like to try stringing the tenor linear DGBE but I think most of you folks are talking re-intrant or high g. Can anyone recommend a source for linear DGBE for a tenor? Or maybe a source of single strings that could be used for this tuning ? Thanks.

I've read all of the above and I'm still confused. I play my bari about 90% of the time but the tenor sounds better to me on a few songs. Trouble is, with my one track mind, I find myself hesitating on some chord changes on the (linear Gcea) tenor. I'd like to try stringing the tenor linear DGBE but I think most of you folks are talking re-intrant or high g. Can anyone recommend a source for linear DGBE for a tenor? Or maybe a source of single strings that could be used for this tuning ? Thanks.

I don't want to spoil the fun, but somehow, I doubt that linear DGBE would sound good on a tenor. Re-entrant is another matter altogether, though. I believe that the size of the tenor is to small for a low D, but I may be wrong.

Unforntunately, that Martin seller has it wrong. He should get that 4th string off of there. That's the problem when you don't write in standard notation - that fellow probably read somewhere that the Tenors originally were tuned to those notes (written god knows how) and assumed it was like traditional Baritone tuning d g b e'.

If you write things out in standard notation, there's no amibiguity. The Tenors' original tuning was d' g b e' (reentrant). Not to be confused with the higher octave one line octave tunings for Soprano d' g' b' e", or Sopranino d" g' b' e".

Last edited:
Unforntunately, that Martin seller has it wrong. He should get that 4th string off of there. That's the problem when you don't write in standard notation - that fellow probably read somewhere that the Tenors originally were tuned to those notes (written god knows how) and assumed it was like traditional Baritone tuning d g b e'.

If you write things out in standard notation, there's no amibiguity. The Tenors' original tuning was d' g b e' (reentrant). Not to be confused with the higher octave one line octave tunings for Soprano d' g' b' e", or Sopranino d" g' b' e".

Thanks, Dirk. I guess I'm not as ignorant as I thought. Is the danger here too much tension on the neck and bridge?

Thanks, Dirk. I guess I'm not as ignorant as I thought. Is the danger here too much tension on the neck and bridge?

If he's just put a standard Baritone set on there, then no danger - the tensions would be pretty loose (too loose to be very playable). If he's got proper tension, then those would be very heavy strings. Apart from the fact that it would be a muddy sounding 4th string, you could probably do it without risk on a new instrument, but the wound 4th will have more pull the the plain reentrant string - I wouldn't do it on a vintage instrument - yes, dangerous.

Edit here's the link Okay I have explored this a lot and currently do this with great success. Get some worth cbs clear baritone strings use the e string as the 1st and 4th string then use the g and the b in the correct place. I have a youtube vid showing this ill find the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYCqBcmMPAY

Could you share this video? It's been set to private. Thanks!

Top Bottom