Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all! New uke player here :) HELP!

Default Hi all! New uke player here :) HELP!

Im thinking about grabbing something new, something different, yet affordable.

LU21T < New uke < $300

I remeber playing Rays Kala/Lanikai(idk) Spruce Tenor and Freds Kala/Lanikai(idk) Mango Tenor.

They are pretty bahdas for the $, much easier to play than the LU21T.

I wanted something with a pickup but all the ones that fit the category are cut-aways which dont cut-it.

Another two that im checking out is the Lanikai Flamed maple and the Kala archtop (black).

As of now im sold on the archtop, trying to find some shops that carry them to sample. In the mean time, if anyone has input on this uke or any other options let one braddah know.

mahalos
    Da Papa Gutes Style - YOUTUBE MYSPACE

Hey I have the Lanikai curly koa model (same build as the flamed maple but different wood) and can't fault it really. The tone is bright and Hawaiian sounding, but also sounds good playing stuff like Red Hot Chilli Peppers. It's easy to play and for a fairly inexpensive uke is well built. There are signs it's a production model, like the painted on 'inlay' and the inconsistency of the finish in some areas, but these are really only noticeable if you look at it very closely. It has a couple of cool features like the contrasting wood purfling, a decent set of tuners (rarely goes out of tune) and half-moon shaped fret markers.

I know you said you were looking into the Kala but people often overlook Lanikai so I thought I'd have my say!

Good luck with your purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by upskydowncloud View Post
    Hey I have the Lanikai curly koa model (same build as the flamed maple but different wood) and can't fault it really. The tone is bright and Hawaiian sounding, but also sounds good playing stuff like Red Hot Chilli Peppers. It's easy to play and for a fairly inexpensive uke is well built. There are signs it's a production model, like the painted on 'inlay' and the inconsistency of the finish in some areas, but these are really only noticeable if you look at it very closely. It has a couple of cool features like the contrasting wood purfling, a decent set of tuners (rarely goes out of tune) and half-moon shaped fret markers.

I know you said you were looking into the Kala but people often overlook Lanikai so I thought I'd have my say!

Good luck with your purchase!
    Thanks for your input

From what i've read, the archtop has less projection due to the f holes. Would this sound similar to an applause?

The Kala spalted maple w/spruce top is very sexy!

Quote Originally Posted by Guting View Post
    Im thinking about grabbing something new, something different, yet affordable.

LU21T < New uke < $300

I remeber playing Rays Kala/Lanikai(idk) Spruce Tenor and Freds Kala/Lanikai(idk) Mango Tenor.

They are pretty bahdas for the $, much easier to play than the LU21T.

I wanted something with a pickup but all the ones that fit the category are cut-aways which dont cut-it.

Another two that im checking out is the Lanikai Flamed maple and the Kala archtop (black).

As of now im sold on the archtop, trying to find some shops that carry them to sample. In the mean time, if anyone has input on this uke or any other options let one braddah know.

mahalos
    My neighbor and fellow uke player just bought the kala archtop. It's beautiful and sounds very nice. Where are you located? We're in Orange County, Ca. She got it at a local store out the door for $249. She didn't shop for it, (it was an impulse buy, but she's got bucks) so you may find it cheaper.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    My neighbor and fellow uke player just bought the kala archtop. It's beautiful and sounds very nice. Where are you located? We're in Orange County, Ca. She got it at a local store out the door for $249. She didn't shop for it, (it was an impulse buy, but she's got bucks) so you may find it cheaper.
    how about a video

She doesn't post here, but I'll suggest it.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

I've had a lazy eye on that archtop too -- not really my style, but its just plain 'ol cool

Rey's up for a new ukulele..
    been waiting to hear this

i always thought the Kala archtop was like the koa pili koko... ill google now
    *googling
    ok... its basically the exact opposite

i dunno, so many nice ukes.

Thread Information