Short scale bass recommendations?

Two questions:

Does anyone make a reasonably-priced six-string short scale bass?

Are roundwound or flatwound strings better for the Viola bass (semi-acoustic Hofner style)?

1) The only short scale six string basses I know of are actually "baritone guitars" like the Fender Bass VI or the Danelectro that are tuned EADGBE like a guitar but one octave lower. They are not reasonably priced though. I've never heard of a short scale six string bass with the modern BEADGC tuning. Many actually have extra long scale for the low B string.

2) I prefer flatwounds on my Hofner and my daughters Epiphone Viola, but I also play upright bass and I like a deep, traditional bass sound with a firm fundemental and no metallic overtones or finger noise. If you like the bass sound on records from the 60's (i.e. Motown, Stax, Bealtes) then you will like the flatwounds. If you prefer a more modern, brighter tone with a clear attack then stick with the roundwounds. Personally, I think that flatwound strings bring out the best qualities with short scale hollowbody basses like the Epiphone Viola. I actually run flats on all of my basses except the five-string which I rarely gig with.

- Steve

Last edited:
If you've got the cash, and you're okay with semi-hollow, the Gretsch BroadKaster is a fantastic sounding instument!

There is a much cheaper "Electromatic" version of this instrument that will get about the same sound. It's called a G5123B I believe, their sticker price is at about $700, but you'd be hard pressed to find one. 250 of them were made, and each were distributed to 250 separate Guitar Centers (It was one of Gretsch's store exclusive projects.) Most employees don't even know if they exist, and have no way to check, because they aren't logged in any kind of online database or catalog. Really the only way to get at one is if they make a mistake and think it's a BroadKaster then put it out on the shopping floor, or if you can get someone to go through every bass they have to see if they even got one of these things. Gretsch was VERY secretive about these instruments, and really, nobody knows anything about them. They were never marketed. I was lucky enough to play one a while back, but I didn't buy it. I think the one at my store's already been purchased, though.

They occasionally sell on eBay for $500 - $600. Good luck!

I picked up an inexpensive, used Ibanez six-string bass yesterday, a Kijiji sale. Man, that neck is massive. Coming from a uke to the 6-string is like going from a canoe to an aircraft carrier. My meager skills in bass playing seem overwhelmed by the sheer size. Makes my Epiphone bass feel small and comfy in comparison.

Am I a victim of BAS?

P Bass Junior is actually 28 5/8 scale. It's a wee little guy. Smaller body and headstock than a mustang. Slimmer neck too - 1 1/2" at the nut. I have a black one and just sold a red one this week.

Don't know about 6-strings, but my Danelectro longhorn is a short scale - the re-issues sound good (very woody) and play very well too. They're also reasonably priced and available on e-bay for under £200. Danelectros are a bit like marmite in terms of looks, but I really like the look of mine and the longhorn means a really deep cutaway top and bottom. I've never seen anyone who can slap on one, though.

You could put Guadalupe strings on a baritone and be down one octave[ really low G]I have an xtra set around somewhere if someone wants to try them. I think they were around $10.

Well... something like that kindof exists. Back in the late 90's i believe Fender came out with the P-Bass Junior. its roughly the size of a strat. as far as i have checked, its nearly impossible to find one.
P1010046.jpg

ripped this photo off of a talkbass forum. as i said, they exist. Like the sabertooth tiger, you just dont see them around.

Actually, if you look at that photo closely you'll see the bass has a scale length somewhere around 30 inches. The overall length of the guitar and bass are almost the same - but the bass is a tad longer and the bridge is mounted much closer to the heel so I'd say the scale looks to be roughly 5 inches longer than the guitar...

Bead

Take any four-string, normal scale bass, and string it BEAD.

The fifth fret on the B-string is the low E. Play only fifth fret and above. Just about the scale length you want and much easier to find strings.

I have two strung that way love playing them.

Best strings for Samick Corsair MCR-1 Mini Bass according to D/Addario

I just got one, queried D'Addario who recommended:

EXL 106S Bright Round, nickel wound, Medium Gauge short scale string set.

.050 .070 .085 .105

Top Bottom