Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short scale bass recommendations?

Well... something like that kindof exists. Back in the late 90's i believe Fender came out with the P-Bass Junior. its roughly the size of a strat. as far as i have checked, its nearly impossible to find one.

ripped this photo off of a talkbass forum. as i said, they exist. Like the sabertooth tiger, you just dont see them around.
    Mainland Tenor Mahogany"Riker"
    Mainland Long Neck Tenor Pineapple "Geoffery"
    Kala KA-C"Kalina" *On Loan*
    50's Barclay Soprano"Beater"
    ---------------------------------------------------
    http://www.facebook.com/bassmanspiff
    http://www.twitter.com/bassmanspiff
    http://www.youtube.com/bassmanspiff1
    ---------------------------------------------------
    UWC has kicked my butt 8 years running.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfiddlesteve View Post
    I'm not sure that what you are looking for exists.

- Steve
    Yeah, they do. Also called a piccolo bass. Stanley Clark used one. Back in the 60s-70s several companies made them including Harmony, Kent, Danelectro & Supro. I had a Supro. The original Mustang bass was 25" scale. Tanglewood made one. So did Vantage (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lpv1zFFR40), Samick still makes one, I believe. Beaver Creek's travel bass is even shorter. Maybe 21". This one looks like a Fender but it seems to be an SX (Essex): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljwKd...feature=fvwrel. There may be others, but in my small town, there are few sources for anything but the big name brands.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Bassukuguy View Post
    Well... something like that kindof exists. Back in the late 90's i believe Fender came out with the P-Bass Junior. its roughly the size of a strat. as far as i have checked, its nearly impossible to find one.

ripped this photo off of a talkbass forum. as i said, they exist. Like the sabertooth tiger, you just dont see them around.
    Think you'll find it has a 30" scale. At least the new ones do. I'm looking for 25" - same scale length as a guitar.
    Ian
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ichadwick View Post
    Yeah, they do. Also called a piccolo bass. Stanley Clark used one. Back in the 60s-70s several companies made them including Harmony, Kent, Danelectro & Supro. I had a Supro. The original Mustang bass was 25" scale. Tanglewood made one. So did Vantage (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lpv1zFFR40), Samick still makes one, I believe. Beaver Creek's travel bass is even shorter. Maybe 21". This one looks like a Fender but it seems to be an SX (Essex): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljwKd...feature=fvwrel. There may be others, but in my small town, there are few sources for anything but the big name brands.
    A piccolo bass is tuned higher than a normal bass and doesn't refer to the size of the bass. Stanely Clarke's piccolo basses were tuned an octave higher than a normal bass and had a 30" scale. He also used a "tenor" bass tuned a fourth higher. The short scale basses made by Harmony, Kent and Danelectro all had 30" scales, as did the Fender Mustang. The Supro Airline Pocket bass did have an extra short 25" scale and that was quite unusual.

I'm not trying to be contrary, it's just that I work in a music store and I know from 25+ years of playing and collecting electric basses that the majority of the short scale basses out there have a 30" or 30.5" scale. There are a few exeptions, like the Vantage and Beaver Creek basses you mention, but neither of these have two pickups. The Ibanez Mikro has a 28.60" scale and two pickups in a "PJ" configuration. Craig Robertson's daughter Zoe played one of these (in purple sparkle no less!) last year at the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway and it sounded great. They are pretty common and I've seen them in several music stores. It might fit the bill if you don't mind the scale length.

- Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bassfiddlesteve View Post
    A piccolo bass is tuned higher than a normal bass...
    Yes, but if you Google it, you can find instructions on how to restring it to low E tuning. Like restringing a baritone to C tuning, I suppose.... it's the scale I want, although an octave higher might be amusing...

I know Harmony had a 25" scale because I was playing one at Twelfth Fret in Toronto last month. It was just priced a little more than I wanted to pay. I got the other names from forums like talkbass or websites that specifically mentioned a 25" scale for those makes. I can't vouchsafe the accuracy of those claims, but I owned a 25" Supro (I'm pretty sure it was a different model) for many years. Have a picture of it somewhere I will post.
    Ian
    Seneca the Younger

Whenever I hear about the piccolo bass, I think of a comment that once appeared in the letters column of Bass Player magazine...something along the lines of, "A bass that's tuned an octave higher than a normal bass? We have those around here. We call them GUITARS."

-Pete
    LoPrinzi Model B tenor (cherry)
    Cordoba 20TM-CE tenor
    Oscar Schmidt OU53 baritone
    Makala Dolphin (thanks Chap!)
    Many and various bass guitars

Yeah, basically a tenor guitar that uses the last four instead of the first four strings. Only real difference (I can see) is the strings seem thicker than guitar. I could restring a baritone ukulele and get that effect, I suppose....
    Ian
    Seneca the Younger

Pismo Lynn Guest

The Fender P Bass Junior was 29.5" scale, sometimes they pop up for sale on ebay. I'd recommend going with a 30" scale, the string tension is enough to still create a good tone. If you want to spend less, Rondo Music sells SX basses that are a real value and that new Squier Jaguar someone mentioned looks pretty good. If you want a great short scale and have the budget, a used Gibson SG, Fender Mustang or Musicmaster can't be beat. If you get a Musicmaster I'd recommend changing out the stock pick up with a DiMarzio Fast Track. The stock pick ups were just a 6 pole strat pick ups, so the strings do not line up and the volume can vary for each string. The dual blade design on the Fast Track eliminates alignment issues and are hum free. Good luck in your search!

Just missed a guy on eBay selling micro-bass projects he builds, with 25" scale. Damn. Went for under $100.

I did get the Epiphone Viola, but still want a shorter scale. Might restring a baritone into a piccolo bass this weekend.
    Last edited by ichadwick; 06-11-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    Ian
    Seneca the Younger

Two questions:

Does anyone make a reasonably-priced six-string short scale bass?

Are roundwound or flatwound strings better for the Viola bass (semi-acoustic Hofner style)?
    Ian
    Seneca the Younger

Thread Information