Thread: Strumming/Signature ?

Default Strumming/Signature ?

I am only 5 months in w/ the uke and this really is my first instrument that I have taking serious about trying to learn but I feel w/ URBC and some other learning aids I am progressing fast. My main problem is when I get the chords to some songs I would like to learn I have trouble figuring out the signature and good stroke pattern. Yet some like Bob Marley songs come fairly easy and I can make them sound half decent. Is this why I always see post to learn songs you know well because others like You shook me all night long I still haven't got a good pattern yet and I grew up listening to that song. Any advise besides trial and error on picking this up? Thanks in advance.
    Maybe you'll find direction
    around some corner
    where it's been waiting to meet you -
    Uke:
    Kala KA-S "Hula-Hula"
    KPK Cutaway Tenor "KoKo "
    Kamaka Soprano Late 50's "Calico"
    Outdoor Soprano Transparent "Hielo"
    My live recordings I made:
    http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...ection%3Aetree

Lots of great videos on UU and YouTube on strumming lessons....save and practice.
    Some newbies need a metronome to train their brains...some uke tuners have one built in. Keep practicing. I have done a little conga drumming, so I just improvise with drum beats some of the time. As long as I have a suitable rythym for the genre, I'm ok. I don't have to play it "exactly" like ?????..... go to YouTube, search Manitoba Hal, and see how he bluezifies some stuff, especially 16 tones, Bluezified for the Ukulele.
    Soooooo many ukes, sooooooo little time

Soprano: Pre-war Martin "O"; 81-82 Kamaka White Label; Grizzly kit;
    Concert: Pono MCD-E; Kala Reso-burst; Rally banjo; Bruce Wei Acacia teardrop; KPK acacia Cutaway; Mele Solid Mahogany 6 string; Ohana CM35-8 Taropatch; Goldtone Metal Resouke;
    Epiphone LP vintage burst; Asmus solid maple/spruce; Alida Jazz electric
    Tenor: Risa semi-hollowbody electric (red one); Mele Koa; Kala solid mahogany A/E cutaway

Bass: Oscar Schmidt Curley Maple;

Thats a hard song, It's not a normal stumming pattern. there are several examples on youtube. here's one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZnOg...eature=related Good luck.
    Don
    Kala KA-TE
    Makala MK-T
    Kala KA-C (low G)
    Makala Dolphin-green burst

Thread Information