Uke influence in Europe

rayray

Reaction score
Just an observance, I just got off a 2 week eurotrip (England/France) and noticed how the uke is spreading, saw numerous people with ukes all over the place, even heard "Iz's Somewhere over the rainbow" as a ringtone on the metro in France! Very cooool!!!

There's been alot of commercials for a best of CD of Iz in Europe and that lead to Somewhere over the rainbow being in the top 40 for quite some time. :)

The power of the uke is spreading. I just sold one of my ukes to a Jazz player in Germany, and he said the uke is gaining popularity by the day over there.

That's right. I live in Holland, am a uke-fetishist since three years, work in a music shop and sell a lot of ukes the last two years. I try to interrest a lot of people for the ukulele, and mostly it works because of my own enthousiasm.
I formed a ukulele band two years ago. "Mannen met Kleintjes", meaning "Men with Little Ones".
Check our site: www.mannenmetkleintjes.nl or have a look at my channel on YouTube: NMENSES.
Would be nice if you leave a comment...
Happy strumming everyone and greetz from Holland!!! Mahalo!

Here in Spain the uke is also gaining popularity. Several pop bands use it, and also some swing/jazz bands. Here's an example: the band "Pequeño Formato". Two ukes and an uke-bass. One of the members is the owner of a uke shop (the only one here in Spain), and I like them!

You can download the CD for free here:

Aloha

Last edited:
One of my fave bands right now is from the UK, Keston Cobbler's Club, who use a ukulele in many of their songs.

For instance, this band is a great success in (some parts of) Spain at the moment:

For instance, this band is a great success in (some parts of) Spain at the moment:

Yeah Felip, "Manel" are getting a big success here in Catalonia (IMHO a bit overrated)

Keston Cobblers Club! They are great!

Top Bottom