Memory thread about the 3rd Annual Ukulele World Congress

In the name of memories things can be done!

Case in point ... the sound man running the mixers etc

IMG_1637.jpg

He dearly loved his old hat. But it was biting the dust. So in an honor to it he constructed a mold from his old hat and then fashioned a carbon fiber hat from the mold. YEP

IMG_1638.jpg

If they ever do a remake of Goldfinger. I'm nominating the hat for Oddjob.

There were magnificent instruments there. Have you ever seen such a magnificent Washtub bass at this:

IMG_1636.jpg

In the name of memories things can be done!

Case in point ... the sound man running the mixers etc

IMG_1637.jpg

Now THIS man here? REMARKABLE! I don't have words to describe how completely and utterly impressed I am with his skills. He had one of the hardest sound mixing jobs known to man and did a near perfect job with it.

But there was deep energy from other then Bermuda as well. From our own soil we see:

Of course women were wanted to attend this incredible event. So from the great North an individual was enticed to come.

To which many women were pleased.

Last edited:
But despite the allure offered by some of the performers. This was truly an event that you could bring the whole family to:

This is truly an accepting group. For Yopp also plays a Banjo.

There were all sorts of talent to be seen. Once again from Canada another performer:

Bermuda, brother... it's a long ways away! *grin*

(Totally understandable mistake... happens way too often!)

I even heard YOU make that mistake, my dear Mickey.

But despite the allure offered by some of the performers. This was truly an event that you could bring the whole family to:

This is truly an accepting group. For Yopp also plays a Banjo.

He plays a mean ClawHammer style, that's for sure. Is he a UU member? If so anyone know his handle?

Now THIS man here? REMARKABLE! I don't have words to describe how completely and utterly impressed I am with his skills. He had one of the hardest sound mixing jobs known to man and did a near perfect job with it.

Ramses was the man!!

Saturday night, Ramsey the sound genius said to me, "You know I've done sound for every sort of concert, wedding and everything you can imagine and I've never seen an event where EVERYBODY is so damn happy"
It's all your fault, Mike.

While we're waiting for some of the resident poets to put this amazing weekend in perspective, let me simply say that this weekend was most excellent. It was well worth the year-long wait, and it lived up to some very high expectations.

Some highlights for me:

Mainland on Friday: walking in to Mike's very crowded shop with batman leading a circle of familiar faces in song. Tootka ringing up grinning customers, sometimes in a line three deep.

The creek: flocks of big butterflies, geodes everywhere, cool clean water on a 95* day, and crawfish the kids caught.

Performing: Soliciting an audience under the tent so my girl and I could play the song she helped write. And playing on stage, for my first time anywhere.

The rain: which flooded our tents leaving the kids sleeping in the car on their first camping trip. A memorable experience for them.

The all-nighter: on stage Saturday night. None of us wanted it to end so we played until the sky lightened and the birds started chirping good morning.

The people: familiar faces and new friends. Most of them trying to give you hugs (and/or beers). Interesting discussions, good music, and too many people I had wanted to spend more time with but somehow couldn't fit it in.

The music: playing with absolute beginners, and sitting in with true experts. Realizing that my skills have progressed. Listening to the stage while drinking beer with good friends.

HoosierHiver, you pulled it off in style my friend. Thank you!

I leave you with a bit of the creek, featuring Yoppy.

It was kind of warm out so folks were ready for:

But a another another source of energy came in. This was from the far south. How far? The other side of the world. The Ukulele World's favorite, Jen, showed up from Australia. Here she is flanked on both sides by masked companions. Also believed by this writer to be from somewhere in the south as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom