Memory thread about the 3rd Annual Ukulele World Congress

Finally a Ukulele that is suitable to my playing skills:

IMG_1659.jpg

It played quietly also. Our pets would love that.

At last year's UWC a woman from France who is also a member of the Ukulele Underground known as Little 6ster showed up. She is very good, here, is a sample of her performing (although not at last year's UWC) with our very own Grumpy Coyote as well.

This year at the UWC the participants were treated with performances from another very talented lady from France:

After seeing both of these ladies I have decided I never get to France enough!

Little 6ster's YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/little6ster

Meylie Mellow's YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MeylieMellow

Grumpy Coyote's YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GrumpyCoyoteTunes

Last edited:
This video shows that we aren't biased against 'well played' harmonicas! Ukulele player and singer is Miss Joni (MissJonib) from Noblesville. Probably one of the most prominent female Ukulele promoters in the State of Indiana ... if not the entire midwest.

Last edited:
I saw this instrument and I immediately thought of Sailqwest and Sailorqwest who are the most well known sailors on the Ukulele Underground. (pay no attention to the article holding it up)
IMG_1665.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a video of them performing. I've been told they are very good.

How about that, the harp (harmonica) player shows up again. Once again with fairly local talent. Here we have Gretchen and Mark from Louisville playing:

Not that I have a one track mind or anything. But does anyone know if this type of instrument can have a pickup installed?

IMG_1659.jpg

Just thinking it might be a good thing to play when I'm in the dog house.:rolleyes:

Yopparai told me that Boy #2 was making his stage debut in this video:

Think Nick did a fine job. Yopp's daughter 'Monkey' was with Yopp last year at UWC #2.

Yopp is a nice guy. He gave me a lesson on how to play the bones this year. Then I remembered later that one of our 5 dogs chewed 3 of them up about 4 or 5 months ago. Oh well. Where are those ribs?

Speaking of ribs. Everyone gets hungry. Here is a little video that I made just walking around or swinging the camera in it's tripod. Take note of the barbecue. I did something wrong. I didn't get there.

Yopp YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YoppyKyabetsu

Last edited:
New to the UWC this year are David I believe:

Damon's first year was this year as well. I've heard that Damon (Pueo) has actual Hawaiian songs in his repertoire. (the nerve a gent that plays an instrument that is so heavily linked to Hawaii actually playing the songs of the area.)

Last edited:
I didn't have the opportunity to meet this gent. Definitely my loss:

A gent comes in from Thailand. This was his second year at the UWC and he is so very talented and so very popular. Unfortunately I don't have a video of him performing solo. But he is very good hopefully someone will put a link of this thread to him performing solo. But he does well with everyone. Watching him with kids you can't be anything but impressed. Here he is. Known at the Ukulele World Congress as Bhatman.

With a voice like mine (distinctive monotone) I strive to be a picker. Someday when I grow up I want to be able to play as well as this gent who it was my pleasure to meet for the first time during the Ukulele World Conference this year.

Here is Nick playing with Colin (Colmes). A well known and loved person in the Ukulele Underground. These two put together an excellent performance!

Here is the main man. The man responsible for starting the Ukulele World Congress. The continuing sponsor of the event. The owner of Mainland Ukuleles and well loved man on Ukulele Underground ... HoosierHiver with a gent who has talent as well and I didn't really get a chance to meet. But envy his talent Derrick

Once again we get treated to the performance of two Ukulele powerhouses. Chris (DeG) and Dominic the Dominator

You can't travel very far on the Internet searching out Ukulele sources without seeing the reviews by Ukeeku. Well turns out he works with them quite well:

Well one of the well known and thought of people on the Ukulele Underground is SuperModerator Andy (UkuleleHill). Well not only is he all of those but a father to a fairly new newborn. Andy at the Ukulele World Congress:

I didn't have the opportunity to meet this gent. Definitely my loss:

Heh, heh. Well, I'm not so sure about the loss but we'll have to correct that situation next year. I'll also have to get glasses that let me see at arm's length next year! LOL

John

Not a lot of folks know this. But almost nightly several folks from the Ukulele Underground get together to jam on the Internet. Periodically I will drop in to watch them go at it. There was this gal there who I have never seen play. Not that she doesn't play, I just haven't seen her. But she is there almost every time I pop in to watch her. Her name is Tina (Austin1 on the Underground).I finally had the opportunity to meet Tina.

IMG_1586.jpg

On Saturday I had an opportunity to hear her play and sing for the first time. I was so mad. Here I am recording these little videos to give some idea of what the UWC is about and here is this incredible voice in the middle of a field in a very rural area of Indiana. The recording and conditions show just a very small fraction of the beauty of her voice.

Here she is putting it together with all around nice guy Colin again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom