Thread: Any good way to join together strums and fingerpicking breaks?

Default Any good way to join together strums and fingerpicking breaks?

I do both, but throwing them together in the same song, just with one uke is a problem for me!

Any recommendations welcome.
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

I'll be watching for answers on this one

I found with Someone like you from Adele that a 1 beat pause is a good transition
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

This is one of those things I just experimented with until it started to work. I too will be interested in the responses, to see how I should be learning this stuff.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I do both, but throwing them together in the same song, just with one uke is a problem for me!

Any recommendations welcome.
    Not really sure what you mean - chord melody? (Where you are playing the melody while strumming at the same time) or alternating between strumming and playing with your fingers?

Could you please give me a couple of examples of what you are trying to do?

Thanks!

-Kurt
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Some clarification wouldn't go amiss, but my best and worse guess would lead to the same answer: slow down (a lot) and drill the problem section a hundred times. Then increase the tempo slightly and do it again. Use a metronome and you'll be killing a whole flock of birds. There is no substitute, tip, or lesson that can replace practicing slowly and cleanly. Trust me - I've looked. Another benefit of using a metronome is that you can quantify your progress.

I used to have a lot of trouble with this. I could strum and sing or I could pick and roll - never in the same song. Now I switch back and forth without even thinking about it - maybe almost too easily - I often slip into rolls for no real reason. LOL

I'd like to be able to tell you the magic key but if there was one I missed it. I spent about a year just really concentrating on right hand technique; getting extremely comfortable with a number of different rolls, triple strokes, fan strokes, and what have you. Didn't learn a single new song the entire time, didn't work much on fancy chords, etc. And now my right hand just kind of dances around down there without my thinking about it much. I'll find myself doing a chunk on beat one followed by a roll to finish out the measure and then a triplet going into the next. Kind of goofy, really.

Now I need to settle down and start applying it to actual songs. LOL

If there is a secret buried in all that practice that I somehow overlooked as it happened it probably was in learning the individual bits - say a three-finger roll for example - so thoroughly that it no longer takes any concentration to play it. I started really, really slow and I spent hours just doing really boring stuff at slow speeds and literally counting out beats in my head as I went through a pattern. I think that paid off in that I can now drop into a roll even in the middle of a measure and have a feel for exactly what pattern I need to pick to reach the end of that measure.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I totally agree with what Brad and John posted about going slow and a lot of repetition. Also, as Brad said, learning to practice with a metronome is gold! GOLD!!
    I remember struggling with a similar issue in school when I was studying trombone. My teacher recommended a book for me to read called, "The Inner Game of Music." It has proven to be really helpful even to this day. It is a modified version of the popular book, "The Inner Game of Tennis."
    For what it is worth.
    ( o)==::

Jazz Tutorials on Youtube -> Ukulele Jazz Friends

Thread Information