your favorite chord progression when a stranger asks you to play

I'm just a beginner, so thus far I've mainly just fingerpicked the intro to "Stairway to Heaven" to play it safe and easy :p

Been using this one I found while noodlin' around the other day;

Fadd9 (0010), Cadd9 (0035), Am7 (0057), D7sus4& (0055) - C5 (0033)

Since I live here in Honolulu, and watch the kids here at the college I maintain, they usually, almost invarialby play Jawaiian stuff, it seems that if it isn't reggae, they aren't interested. Now and then they see me and ask me to strum something. I always use "Please don't let me be misunderstood" by the Animals. Am, G, F, Esus and E. with the chorus of F, G and Am. I also break out "Sabor A Me", the ole Edy Gourmet and Trio los Pancho's tune in Spanish...that throws em...

F#m7 E7sus Dsus2 Esus2...its a portion of my own piece and its absolutely beautiful.

played in 6/8. who doesn't love full dim chords on uke?

D(2220) F#m(2120) Bm-Bm7(4222-2222) Gmaj7-Gfulldim(0222-0101) D(2220) F#-C#m6(3121-3444) Bm-Bm7(4222-2222) G-Gm6(0232-0201)

I don't get asked but when doing something random I default to a version of either Those Were the days or a House of the Rising Sun/Stairway to Heaven which goes

Am-C-D-am(1 stroke)-F-Am-E7-A-E7-Am-Cm9?(G1-C0-E0-A2)-C-D-F-F-G-Am-Am

Another great one is the chord progression to Hotel California - Em B7 Bm7 A C G A B7 - if you arpeggiate it right quite a few people (at least of my generation) will recognize it even though it's just a chord progression and not a melody.

I also like to use this when trying out a "new" uke - the slow arpeggiation of these chords allowing the notes to ring gives a good chance to evaluate sustain of both open and fretted notes, the relative balance across strings, and open and barre chords. A lot of ukes that sound fine "strummed" really fall on their face when you do something like this. If you find a uke that sounds great playing "Hotel California" arpeggiated it will sound good playing almost anything.

Or...maybe I'm just an olde phart and I like the song... :)

John

I like to jam "the letter" in Am,:Am, F, Am/C, D7, Am, F, E7.

since the uu guys launched that new contest, the chords aldrine plays in the background have been bouncing around in my mind.

from what i can tell, here are the chords. the 2 biggest challenges are using your pinky mute and learning when to do it while strumming like a metronome with your right hand. note sure of the chord names, other than the d and g with the hammer on. help anyone?

4230 5430 4230 2220 (repeat) end with 0230 (or hammer on to 0232)

i also use this to impress & it's just so much fun. coveywood calls this "the best ukulele strum in the world" on his youtube site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTgqW6hqpfA

cool thread! i'm going to use some of these!

Use The Numbers

After a while looking at all the chords in these progressions began to make my head spin. That's why I like using the number system. State the key and then use the numbered chords. This way you actually can get a feel on where the progression is going. In this example: Key of C: (I-iii-IV-V-I) I can see the music progressing from the root to the three minor to the four, the five and back home. Also, I can transpose the song to any other key and the numbers will remain the same.

Dm - Bb - Gm - C
2210-3211-0231-5433

when switching from Bb to Gm, it's easiest to move only your ring finger, which should move from the 3rd fret of the g string to the 3rd fret of the e string.

also, strum this quickly, giving it a Latin feel

I usually play a simple 4 chord one that's easy to remember and sounds good.

C-E7-F-Fm

Then when you're done playing add this chord right before you play the last C, it sounds good (1213)

Those chords sound amazing on the uke, is there a way I can learn your song with your permission? Just knowing that there's a song behind this awesome progression makes me want to learn it.

The chords in the first post is the chorus melody for The Strokes - "Someday"

Fun thread.

I play Over The Rainbow, C Em F C F C G C , C Em F C F C Gm C , C G7 F C G7 Am F , C Em F C F C Gm C , C G7 C G7 C

I play that bcoz everyone knows it and everyone loves it. At least until I play it.

I like that particular version, it's more traditional. I am not trying to emulate Israel K.

For old folks like me I'll play Ram On by Paul McCartney, whoever he was... C#m7 B#m C#m7 B#m C F C F C F C F C (easier than it looks) and with only one line of lyrics and a couple "Do to do's" it easy to remember.

Last edited:
I find that if you use an impressive strum, you can convince people with any progression. I like using D-UC-UUUCUDU (-is a pause and C is a Chuck) It sounds really nice with a C em F dm

If they ask me that, I just say "No, I just stole it", and walk away...

Top Bottom