your favorite chord progression when a stranger asks you to play

I play
Code:
D7 G7 C  A7   D7 G7 C Bb B C   C7
// // // //   // // / /  / /   /
in an upbeat tempo. Sounds like a classic Hawaiian chord progression imo xD

Unless the weather is really bad, when I'm walking around with my uke I'm playing it. There's probably not a doubt in anyone's mind that I have no idea what I'm doing....

As a newby C-CMa7-Am-Cma7 x 2 Start of Teenage Kicks!

Ha! The first song I learned on the uke! And I still get it wrong sometimes.

Nobody has asked me yet, but if they did I would probably go for a sort of 16 bar country blues -
C-A7-D7G7-C
C-A7-D7-G7
C-C7-F-Adim (2323)
C-A7-D7G7-C

Nobody ever asks me to play ....they seem to have more more sense .....:rofl:

Or try:

Dm , Gm , A

F , Bb,

E7 , A and that's Midnight In Moscow ........ part A

Last edited:
A bit of Ukulele Swing is what I like. Nice progressions.

I can make my Uke swing .......lightly pinch headstock between thumb and forefinger and give it a push ...it'll swing ...for a little while.....I don't know if it is progressive though !!:)

5 foot 2 always sounds good and old-timey and FUN to me.

I was in an Ukulele store the last time someone asked me if I played ukulele - I grabbed an 8-string off the wall and played "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" and sang the vocal line too, then hung it back on the wall.

I play "Ain't She Sweet" - and I'll even admit that I don't know what half the chords are, it's one I learned from watching someone else play. But I can do it from memory and it makes me look like I know what I'm doing :)

ME TOO! I will play "Ain't She Sweet" as learned from Jim Beloff's "The Daily Ukulele" at a breakneck speed, like 160bpm. This is one of the few songs that I can play fast and not mess up. (something like this - but MUCH faster now)

Usually the response is either an open jaw, or one word: "Typical" (ha ha)

and then they ask, "Can't you play anything else?" and then I will break out the first 16 bars of Jake's "Piano Forte", after which I will stop (since that's all I've learned so far, but THEY don't know that) and then SMILE and ask them, 'What can YOU play?' and offer them the instrument, after which most people will decline, or say that they do not know how to play, but would like to learn, and then I tell them about Ukulele Underground and the video tutorials, and also the community in the forums.

Last edited:
I do a fast sort of jazzy version of tip toe through the tulips. 2 beats each chord. C-A7-Dm-G7-C-E7-F-Fm(Single beat)-Fm6(Single beat)-C-A7-Dm-G7-C-G7-C(single stroke) I do it because people always ask if I know it and then are surprised to find out that Tiny Tim's version was kind of lame compared to the way it can be played.

I'm working toward this,as a newby I find the speed you play even this to be fast, but something to work to. Graham
ME TOO! I will play "Ain't She Sweet" as learned from Jim Beloff's "The Daily Ukulele" at a breakneck speed, like 160bpm. This is one of the few songs that I can play fast and not mess up. (something like this - but MUCH faster now)

Usually the response is either an open jaw, or one word: "Typical" (ha ha)

and then they ask, "Can't you play anything else?" and then I will break out the first 16 bars of Jake's "Piano Forte", after which I will stop (since that's all I've learned so far, but THEY don't know that) and then SMILE and ask them, 'What can YOU play?' and offer them the instrument, after which most people will decline, or say that they do not know how to play, but would like to learn, and then I tell them about Ukulele Underground and the video tutorials, and also the community in the forums.

Hot Tamales. Then if I'm feeling frisky, I'll do a couple of verses of Hot Tamales, then segue into Five-Foot Two.

I play a funky tune by doing a slide of Bm7 (2222) and Em7 (7777) with some various ad-libbing like turning the Bm7 (2222) into a D (2225), the Em7 (7777) into a G (777-10), and then doing a run by doing a Bm7 (2222) - Bbm7 (1111) - Am7 (0000) and an Em7 (7777) - Dbm7 (6666) - Dm7 (5555).

This is a fun thread....for me my favorite chord progression changes all the time..but I think it's mainly whatever song I am working on at the moment.

Usually I whip out the good old "Bad Moon Rising" (beat counts after chords)
Verse is 4 of these (2 beats each): [G] [G] [D7] [C] [G] [G] [G] [G]
Chorus is 2 of these (4 beats each): [C] [C] [G] [G] [D7] [C] [G] [G]

If I'm feeling saucy, "Ain't She Sweet" or "Sister Kate" are good ones.
"Ain't She Sweet" intro (2 beats each, play chords marked 'e' 1/2 beat early): [G] [G#dim] [Am7] [D7]e [G] [G#dim] [Am7] [D7]e [G] [B7] [E7] [E7+5]e [A7] [D7] [G] [D7]e
"Sister Kate" intro (2 beats each, play chords marked 'e' 1/2 beat early): [C6] [C#dim] [G6] [E7]e [Em6] [D7] [G] [G]

For a bit of fingerpicking, "Landslide" is nice (4 beats each, G-E-C-A pattern): [Bb] [F] [Gm7] [F]

And, of course, many then ask to hear "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" (4 beats each): [C] [Em] [Am] [F] [C] [G] [Am] [Fadd9] [F] [F]

Nearly forgot "Stray Cat Strut"! Chords marked 'e' are a half-beat early.
Verse: [Am] [G] [F] [E7]e
Chorus & Bridge: [Dm] [C] [Bb] [A7]e

The same [Am] [G] [F] [E7] can also be "Hit the Road, Jack", and also (faster) "Put A Lid On It" by Squirrel Nut Zippers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom