hammer ons

paul_kng

Reaction score
hey guys ive been having trouble with hammer ons. when i do it its very soft and you can barely hear it. is it me? the uke? can any one help?

hey guys ive been having trouble with hammer ons. when i do it its very soft and you can barely hear it. is it me? the uke? can any one help?

Practice, practice, practice! This is eluding me a bit too. One thing to keep in mind is that the finger that is hammering-on needs to hit the string straight on, not at an angle, and right in between the fretwires (not too close to either one).

Hammer ons are the bane of my existance too sometimes...

You'll need to hit the string square on, and a heck of a lot harder than you think you'd need to.... Really hammer on that string (no pun intended.)
Ukes don't tend to make the greatest hammer on noise, but with practice you can get it to sound better.

Yep -- it's a lot of practice. My hammer ons were very quiet at first. They will get louder the more you do them.

It may also help to pluck the string you intend to "hammer on" a bit harder than normal to get a more pronounced sound from the hammer on. At least that is how it works on the guitar. My ukulele has yet to arrive but it can't be that much different.

Like most said practice is key. Calluses help too :p

The bit that gets me is when the hammer on is followed quickly by a pull off. Still have a lot fo difficulty pulling of something that does not sound like I am trying to wring out the string...

It is hard to get them to ring on nylon strings with such a short scale. Especially if you learned to do them on steel string guitars. Big difference. Hand strength helps to. Ie put the hammer in hammer on. Try it without even plucking the string first. Just Hammer on soft then hammer on hard. The more force, the more the ring (up to a point)

The first UU tutorial, The Cure's Lovesong, is a great one to practise hammers-on.

Top Bottom