Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand New To Ukelele's

Default Brand New To Ukelele's

so yeah, this is my first time ever talking about ukulele's and what not.
    im thinking about purchasing a ukulele, and i was wondering if i was able to get some help to decide which kind of ukulele to get. thanks

what i did was start with a cheap, decent uke, a kala concert for example, and when you get better at playing, you get the craving for something that sounds better also, so start with something mediocre so that when you do buy an amazing instrument, you can really appreciate it.

and just so you know, it is ukulele, like in your post, not ukelele like in your thread title. a little taboo here(for me anyway).
    "It`s great to want to be part of something, but it`s a different thing completely to believe wholly in some type of movement, and to give everything for that something."
    -Brandon Boyd, Incubus

sorry about that, it was a little typo.
    thanks also for the help

This is comming from a beginner, most beginners seem to like the Concert size uke.

I started with a Soprano size (what most people think of as a Ukulele) at the time I didn't know there were different sizes.
    A Concert has a bigger neck and the frets/strings are alittle farther apart (more finger room on some models).
    I just picked up a "Flea Concert" it is a litter eazier to play than my Soprano (I like it for new songs) and I would recomend it to any beginner, I would also recommend the Kala KA-C.

I still like my Soprano and mostly play it or my Tenor or maybe my other Soprano well maybe my Flea....
    Last edited by freedive135; 08-10-2008 at 03:50 PM.
    Ukulele, the most fun I've had being bad at something!!!

you need to first pic your budget. Ukes range from 30 bucks or so to Rediculous.

I would suggest spending more then you think you want to. you will get a better instrument and lets face it, if the instrument is higher quality, you will want to pick it up more often and play it.

http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room
    This guy sells great instruments and sets them up with good strings.

thank you all for the help. it really helps :]

Quote Originally Posted by pnj View Post
    you need to first pic your budget. Ukes range from 30 bucks or so to Rediculous.

I would suggest spending more then you think you want to. you will get a better instrument and lets face it, if the instrument is higher quality, you will want to pick it up more often and play it.

http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room
    This guy sells great instruments and sets them up with good strings.
    I agree. It's worth paying a bit more to at least get an instrument that stays in tune, unlike a lot of the awful youtube videos I see of people where their ukes detune mid way through the piece.

My first uke was the Lanikai LU-21 (concert size, which I think is best for beginners as it's easy to hold) and costs around 80-90 dollars (or 40).

Good luck with your purchase. You'll enjoy it definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by freedive135 View Post
    ...most beginners seem to like the Concert size uke.
    Hmmm.... citation please.
    Howlin' Hobbit -- Ukulele Ace
    Howlin' on Twitter, YouTube, Bandcamp

I like sopranos ...

And for a low-cost beginner's uke, I wholeheartedly recommend the Makala. Restrung with Aquila strings.

Thread Information