Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any love for 8 string?

Default Any love for 8 string?

Just purchased a Lanikai 0-8 tenor new on E-bay site unseen or unheard. Solid spruce top and ovangkol laminated back and sides. Never thought the seller would accept my bid dooooouuuhhhh too late. Any love for this Uke? or 8 strings in general.
    Thx Brudda's

Manalishi Guest

I have a Lanikai 8 string and its terrific.
    Better on certain songs mind you,not
    for everything you may play.But a lot
    of the Beatles stuff sounds great on it
    and obviously,anything by the Byrds!

I've been interested in getting an 8-string for a while now, I do ike the look of the Spruce Lanikai but feckin' hell, how can they justify the price of them? It's rediculous! They cost more than I paid for my 12-string acoustic guitar!
    Cool and slow with plenty of precision; With a back beat narrow and hard to master...

I have not yet had the chance to play an 8 string...would live to try one! I have a 6 string that I love to play and the sound is super!!!
    Maui no ka oi !!!!!
    Kamaka HF-3, Vintage 1935 Kamaka Pineapple, Kanile'a Deluxe 6 string Tenor, Kamaka 1996 HF-38, Makala Concert

Quote Originally Posted by rock_and_roll_camera View Post
    I've been interested in getting an 8-string for a while now, I do ike the look of the Spruce Lanikai but feckin' hell, how can they justify the price of them? It's rediculous! They cost more than I paid for my 12-string acoustic guitar!
    Nah Brudda, a little over $260 on ebay....or if you are lucky offer a little bit lower.

I had the opportunity to play both of the Lanilai 8-string models at UWC this year, the laminate and the spruce-top. I loved them both! I have always been a big 12-string guitar fan, and the 8-string uke provides that vibe for me. If money were not an issue right now, I'd order one for myself in a heartbeat....
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

A Kala KA-8 is my latest temptress, I was handed one at my local shop and asked what I though. It made me sound good. Then that evil shop owner said that i could bring her home for $200.... I think I needed to go back real soon...
    Lanikia LU-21C
    Kala KA-STE-C Tenor
    Kala KA-SSTU-C

I played a Kamaka 8 string last night at my ukulele group, it was very sweet. I like the 8 string, but I LOVED the custom 6 string that I played. I'm pretty sure that my next ukulele will be a six string!
    Brian
    Ohana PK25G - Pineapple Soprano with Aquila
    Ohana SK15 - Maroon Soprano with Aquila
    Kala KA-FMSLN - Flame Maple Longneck Soprano with Loprinzi
    Eleuke BC-50E - Prototype Concert with Living Water
    Mainland Classic mahogany Long Neck Concert Pineapple with Freemont Black low g
    Sailor Brand M-EU T6EG - Six string tenor with Southcoast
    Luna TT MAH - Tattoo tenor with Loprinzi
    Koloa KU-650 - Baritone with Alohi low d
    Cordoba - Guitalele
    Eddy Finn EF-BU2F - Deluxe Banjo Uke

I own a Kamaka 8 String. The sound is definitely very interesting and full due to the doubled strings.

But after playing a KoAloha 6 String, I think I actually prefer the way that the 6 string sounds.

I think you'll enjoy your 8 string. It'll definitely add some variety.

I had the same uke for a while (review on my website). Nice sound, full, rich - a teensy bit of a pain to keep in tune but not as bad as friction tuners on any uke. Not the best uke for every song, but a nice one to have in a jam where it provides a good harmonic backdrop. I'm looking for an 8-string bari now - can't seem to find anyone who makes one.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Thread Information