Looking for Cavaquinho(uke) from Cape Verde

acadianla

Reaction score
Hi,
Well no, a cavaquinho isn't "exactly" a uke, but has common Portuguese roots. I'm looking for one made in Cape Verde as the necks are a little wider and the box a little bigger. Does anyone out there know how to contact/e-mail any builders there? They're almost impossible to track down unless you know someone. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul (acadianla@yahoo.com)

Hi,

There are also cavaquinhos in Brazil.
Perhaps it would be easier to buy it from there rather than Cabo Verde?

Just a thought.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips!
There are a lot of them on Brazilian E-Bay from $40 to $2,000+. But the Cape Verde ones have wider necks that my fingers appreciate. But Brazilians aren't out of the question either pending what I can find in Cape Verde. I did e-mail Folkrep to see what they have as they are closer to CV. I knew about them, but it blew right past me to contact them. Guess I didn't notice they were located in Portugal. So thanks! Paul

Hi -

Not sure about luthiers from Cape Verde. Most Brazilian models definitely have smaller fretboards. I don't find the smaller fretboards to be much of an issue, though.

I am a cavaquinho player first and a uke player second. In fact, I've gotten into baritone ukuleles because the tuning is similar. Cavaquinhos are definitely not all created equally.

I play a Giannini GCSM10 (I have the EL and the model without the pickup) and it is EXCELLENT. I purchased the EL for $600 and I was lucky enough to get a blemished standard model on eBay for $200 about 2 months ago. The quality is fantastic. They are hand crafted, refined, the finishing is superb, play very well and are crafted from beautiful smelling Indian Rosewood.

I also had the cheaper Giannini GCSM 4, which I sold when I got the second GCSM 10. The GCSM 4 was perfectly fine and had good intonation. What bugged me was the fretboard smelled like industrial rubber glue and cedar.

Other common models include Rozinis, which seem to be similar to the cheaper Gianninis.

There are some great Brazilian luthiers with stellar reputations, like João Batista (JB) http://www.jbinstrumentos.com.br/jb/ and Do Souto, but I never see those cavacos for sale outside of Brazil. You can also check out Mercado Livre to see more Luthiers and models.

If you can afford the GCSM 10, which is fairly common outside of Brazil, I highly recommend it! I am thrilled with it and am not really wanting for other models.

Rob

Last edited:
Hi rob,

Thanks for the tips. I did check them out and it gets me one step closer to finding one. I did make contact with Pedro of Folkrep in Portugal who makes Cape Verde style cavaquinhos(that have a little wider neck for my big fingers and bigger body than the Brazillian and Portuguese. Also the Portuguese frets stop at the body while the Cape Verde models extend to the sound hole) besides guitars and others that he sells on E-Bay. He sent me a couple of pictures of his lower end cava. He also makes a "mid-deluxe" and "deluxe" model that he will be sending me pictures of when he get back in town. Another contact in Cape Verde got me the phone number for luthier Luis Baptista in Mindelo, Cape Verde. I don't know any Portuguese and he's trying to find out if Luis speaks any English before I attempt a call. There is a video of him on YouTube(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSTr01fSY0I or search "cavaquinho de Cabo Verde"). I also found a site for Aniceto Gomes also from Mindelo (http://www.geocities.ws/aniceto_gomes/index.htm). He, it appears, makes the cavaquinho's that Zerui Depina plays for Maria de Barros. Sure looks like them. They're about $300+/-. Aniceto was also a student of Luis' father. Same thing though. I don't know if he speaks English and the e-mail address is dead. Zerui said he'd try to get me one, but nothing yet. So the hunt continues. There's a pile of them on Brazilian E-Bay, but now I'm obsessing on the Cape Verde version. Anyways, all the best! Paul

Last edited:
Hi all,
After many e-mails back and forth with Pedro Abreu of FolkReps in Portugal, I ordered a Brazilian Cavaquinho. It still has a little wider neck at the nut(35mm) than then ones typically found in Brazil(30mm), but not as wide as a Cape Verde model(40mm). I couldn't quite justify the price difference between the two ($249 vs. $370). I already have several ukes as it is. Anyways, it hasn't arrived yet, but I'll be sure to post a review when it does. FYI, he can get just about anything you want made. Just depends on how much you're willing to spend. I'm pretty sure he doesn't make them himself, but has access to a lot of builders there. Paul

It's been a while since I was on this thread, but I have been playing quite a bit more since I first posted. I still have my Giannini, but I also have 3 Do Souto cavaquinhos. My Giannini is a bit like a mandolin or a harpsichord in terms of tone. It is better for solo work. The Do Soutos have an unusual timbre, great for rhythm, that is hard to describe. The best description is "hoarse bark" but it is more flattering than that. I have not played the Faia, or Beechwood, but I have played the Carinhoso (cedar), Waldir Jacaranda (rosewood) and a Tico Tico (rosewood with a larger body). The Do Souto Carinhoso is bright and throaty. The tone is excellent. The Waldir Jacaranda is the most perfectly balanced and has a rich tone. The chords sound the fullest and you get the full span of the strings with this model. The Tico Tico is a little bottom heavy on the low D, but has a hollow throaty sound that is different from the others. I am pleased with all of these and they are each useful tools.

You can see my Do Souto Cavaquinhos Here (L to R: Waldir Jacaranda, Carinhoso, Tico-Tico)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoUd7Ieg1zT/?taken-by=estateownsghostshow

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I'm looking to buy my first Cape Verdean Cavaquinho since I first got exposure from Cesaria Evora, Bana, B. Leza, and many Morna players.
I want something in the Mid-range, on the 300$ to 400$, durable, with it's characteristic Morna tone mostly for studio recording.

Theres two sites on the internet selling these:

-https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cape-Verde-Cabo-Verde-Cavaquinho-Ukulele-mod-CV-110/372624653300?hash=item56c228fbf4:g:5VkAAOSw8cFb2IH8
-https://store.tucuatro.com/collections/instrumentos-exoticos-y-folcloricos-exotic-folkloric-instruments/cavaquinho

Are there any recommendations I'd like to consider before buying one?
Would a brazilian Cavaco be similar?

Thanks !

Last edited:
Hi,
Well no, a cavaquinho isn't "exactly" a uke, but has common Portuguese roots. I'm looking for one made in Cape Verde as the necks are a little wider and the box a little bigger. Does anyone out there know how to contact/e-mail any builders there? They're almost impossible to track down unless you know someone. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
hello Acadianla, i am Lutier at Cape Verde, Mindelo.
I am honored to see your interest at our instruments. Please refer to
https://www.atelierluisbaptista.tk/luthier-luís-baptista-portfólio, so you can find us.

Also you can call to 00238 992 66 92 ( it is also whatsup) or eamil us to "atelierluisbaptista@gmail.com".
You are more than wellcome to visit our atelier at Mindelo one day!

Thank you very much!!

Hi -

Not sure about luthiers from Cape Verde. Most Brazilian models definitely have smaller fretboards. I don't find the smaller fretboards to be much of an issue, though.

I am a cavaquinho player first and a uke player second. In fact, I've gotten into baritone ukuleles because the tuning is similar. Cavaquinhos are definitely not all created equally.

I play a Giannini GCSM10 (I have the EL and the model without the pickup) and it is EXCELLENT. I purchased the EL for $600 and I was lucky enough to get a blemished standard model on eBay for $200 about 2 months ago. The quality is fantastic. They are hand crafted, refined, the finishing is superb, play very well and are crafted from beautiful smelling Indian Rosewood.

I also had the cheaper Giannini GCSM 4, which I sold when I got the second GCSM 10. The GCSM 4 was perfectly fine and had good intonation. What bugged me was the fretboard smelled like industrial rubber glue and cedar.

Other common models include Rozinis, which seem to be similar to the cheaper Gianninis.

There are some great Brazilian luthiers with stellar reputations, like João Batista (JB) http://www.jbinstrumentos.com.br/jb/ and Do Souto, but I never see those cavacos for sale outside of Brazil. You can also check out Mercado Livre to see more Luthiers and models.

If you can afford the GCSM 10, which is fairly common outside of Brazil, I highly recommend it! I am thrilled with it and am not really wanting for other models.

Rob
hello Baskervils, i am a Lutier from Cape Verde, at Mindelo.
I am honored to see your interest at our instruments. Please refer to
www.facebook.com

Luis Baptista (facebook)​

or, https://www.atelierluisbaptista.tk/luthier-luís-baptista-portfólio, so you can find us.

Also you can call to 00238 992 66 92 ( it is also whatsup) or eamil us to "atelierluisbaptista@gmail.com".
You are more than wellcome to visit our atelier at Mindelo one day!

Thank you very much!!

Hi,
Thanks,
Hello, we can help you with that! see you soon!

Top Bottom