Banjo uke suggestions

John:

I completely agree, the narrow fretboard makes it infinitely easier for me to play (especially barre chords!). When I play more "banjo-ish" songs, it makes navigating the fretboard while fingerpicking much easier as well.

drbekken:
Post a picture of it, that might help.

Anybody who knows anything about 'NMS Co' open back banjo ukes from the 20s?

I've seen several dozen of them over the years, all look the same: three pointed headstock, 12 tension hooks, squarish heel. Never seen one with a closed back. They weren't expensive instruments; the pot is on the thin side, with laminate less than a half inch in thickness, but they used good birdseye maple veneer on several of the ones that I've seen. They are marked with a small diamond on the back of the headstock with NMS Co. inside.

I've seen no information on the company, but there are a couple of clues. The exact instrument is offered through the Tonk Brothers catalog, but without markings, so you can see that the instruments were offered AS Tonk Brothers instruments. In the 20's and early 30's, TBC offered JR Stewart, Rolando, NMS, Regal, Schoenhut and other instruments as their own. As most of these manufacturers were Chicago-based, that makes me think that NMSs were also Chicago-made, but that's a guess.

They have gone for between about $50 and $100, though usually go for about $60-75 on Ebay.

The Gold Tone BUS, BUC, and BUT, are all at the top end of your price range at about $300, and are a great balance of price/quality = value. I have the concert version (BUC) and love it.

I have ended my search for a banjo uke. Used to have a vintage no name and could never get it to play right so I wanted new and concert/ tenor. Found a GOLD TONE [BUT] on Amazon for $199 shipped w/HSC. There was only 1 at this price, now they are $300 and the concerts are $322, so I got a great deal. The finish is kind of boring, I think their banjoleles are nicer, but are almost 2x as much. All I had to do was pop up the bridge and tune er up. I originally tuned it to C, but saw on their web site it came with strings for DGBE, tried that abd it sounded muddy, so went up a whole step and it sounds better. will probably put some meant for gCEA, any suggestions? I've got some Southcoast coming so will probably put some of their mediums on.

All in all I'm very happy with it. The only thing I don't like is the boring brown matt finish, but I might try shining it up a bit after awhile. I did this with a Kala Acacia I had and it really brought out the grain. I'd have to take all that hardware off the hoop though, and that would be a job. So if you're in the market for one, keep checking on Amazon, seems they go cheaper once in a while.

I really liked the Firefly that I played and would consider purchasing one. They are fun to play and oh so light that it is inviting to play. I also played a BeanSprout ukulele - great sound, oh so heavy.

With banjo ukes, you generally have to accept the fact that they are not light little ukuleles.

Man, I can't believe that great price for that uke. I paid a bit over $300 for my Buc but I still think it was worth it.
I was going to get the tenor but didn't want to go with the baritone tuning they use. Send the Gold tone folks an email about the strings. I've emailed them a couple times and he's always gotten back to me within 24 hrs.

Wim van der Leden make banjoleles tenors and sopranos handmade in Netherlands, with or whitout resonator, and he makes a banjolele with a monster sound in volume with starting prices at € 140 plus shipping. I have a tenor open back (€ 160 plus shipping) and now I order a soprano with resonator. His website with some videos and all his construction process is http://www.banjolele.net/

Wim write in a very good english, and is a great person.

Wim van der Leden make banjoleles tenors and sopranos handmade in Netherlands, with or whitout resonator, and he makes a banjolele with a monster sound in volume with starting prices at € 140 plus shipping. I have a tenor open back (€ 160 plus shipping) and now I order a soprano with resonator. His website with some videos and all his construction process is http://www.banjolele.net/

Wim write in a very good english, and is a great person.

Aaron Kliem makes banjolele at
https://www.thebeansprout.com/

So I've only been playing for a little under a month and I'm already contemplating my next ukulele purchase. I take it that's normal, right? :p

I'm thinking my next one will be a banjo uke, because the more I research and listen to them, the more convinced I am it's probably part of my destiny to acquire one, so might as well go ahead accept the card fate's dealt me.

So far I've looked into Mainland's banjo-uke and the Firefly, and they both look pretty nice for their respective prices. But I'm open to whatever else is out there and hoping some of you fine folks will throw in a good word for your favorites in here.

Price-wise, I'd like to float somewhere around $200, but I'd probably be able to talk myself into going up to $300 if something really catches my eye (or ear). Not looking for any high end Gold Tone kind of quality, just a banjo uke that plays well and possibly looks nice while you're doing so.

Another thought is to go used. There's the Marketplace on the forum, Guitar Center used, eBay, reverb and https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/

Top Bottom